Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inserts: wood vs. graphite

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Inserts: wood vs. graphite

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Wood if it's a custom built rod for freshwater. Joel Lemke has some of the nicest.
    This one went on a 2wt. Sage I built a couple years ago.

Tha Buckeye burl is some pretty stuff. I have used stabilized Buckeye burl quite a bit. The hardware on that seat looks really nice to.

2. Likes Ard, noreaster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Tha Buckeye burl is some pretty stuff. I have used stabilized Buckeye burl quite a bit. The hardware on that seat looks really nice to.
    Dan, that is bronzed aluminum. Looked great with the dark green blank.

For Ard- Fiberglass Flyrodders • Limited Run Lemke Reel Seats

joel lemke reel seats - Bing Images what's funny is the picture of the Sage and buckeye burl seat is there. Can't miss the blue tape...

Too bad Joel doesn't have a website. You have to admit- a hell of a lot nicer looking than graphite.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

4. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Gotta say with the selection of stabilized exotic woods available now, they really make a classy touch to a custom rod. I would gladly pass up the little more weight to get that warm natural look when ever possible.
    Some exotic woods are not even that dense and heavy.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Love that set up. The bronzed hardware looks killer.
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

So where do you find these Lemke seats, Mojo? Can't find them for sale anywhere or even a mention how to go about inquiring. Kinda weird in our day and age.

I don't build fly rods but if I did I would use wood on all my trout rods. I simply love the look of a fine piece of wood surrounded by polished nickel. I'm actually dismayed at some of the new trout rods and the reel hardware that has been put on them, such as the new Sage One and the awful reel seat on the Hardy with that woven look.

One of my Sage LL's - an older 389-2 with GII blank has a downlocking slip ring wooden reel seat. I love that look. My first fly rod was two slip rings on cork, which holds a special place for me, although I don't own any now.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    So where do you find these Lemke seats, Mojo? Can't find them for sale anywhere or even a mention how to go about inquiring. Kinda weird in our day and age.
    You could try Mike at Pioneer Anglers.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

As long as it looks half way decent and feels good on the rod, I don't care what it is. Those Lemke seats are beautiful. A lot of custom glass builders are using them. As you can tell by the mediocre iPhone picture, I don't have a personal preference.

-Chase

I like the variety, Chase. And you attitude. You've got one of about every style seat there! Now you need a new rod for one of the machined "cut-away" style seat. The Loomis Whispercreek has a very nice looking style. What do you all think about those?

Have any of you seen the seat on the new Loomis NRX that REC made for them? Sweet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123