Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cork ring options? - flor, select, burl, composite rubber

Default Re: Cork ring options? - flor, select, burl, composite rubber

I really like the rattan grips and have done quiet a few. I also love the look of a full length grip of birch bark.
    But if you want to build a nice custom rod, sometimes less is more ( an oxymoron is coming). Golden Witch has a dye you mix with the wood glue when you glue up your grips. But instead of regular thickness cork, you get the jig to slice the the normal cork thinner. I built some grips years ago using the burnt and burled cork. They looked different for the time. I personally don't like them anymore. But that's just my taste. Here's a page from GW.
    The Cork Slicing Jig: Golden Witch

On this, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the earth pigments. Check out the grip in the photo.
    http://www.2computerchicks.com/Merch...y_Code=GRIPCRK
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I was afraid I was gonna have to report this thread to the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I really like the rattan grips and have done quiet a few. I also love the look of a full length grip of birch bark.
    But if you want to build a nice custom rod, sometimes less is more ( an oxymoron is coming). Golden Witch has a dye you mix with the wood glue when you glue up your grips. But instead of regular thickness cork, you get the jig to slice the the normal cork thinner. I built some grips years ago using the burnt and burled cork. They looked different for the time. I personally don't like them anymore. But that's just my taste. Here's a page from GW.
    The Cork Slicing Jig: Golden Witch

On this, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the earth pigments. Check out the grip in the photo.
    Grips & Cork: Golden Witch
    Thanks Mojo. I've perused the Goldenwitch site before and was curious about the glue dye. Do you have and experience with it? I wish they had a photo of a finished grip with it...I assume it doesn't stain the cork, just the glue?

I am starting to lean away from using burls as accents, after only a couple weeks of trying to decide how to fit burls into my grip. It is being used so often now on so many factory rods that I'm reconsidering. I still think they can look cool, but I am "anti-fad" to my core.

Now I am seriously considering the 1/8" ring grip. So I'd love to hear from anyone who has used the glue dye and I'd even love more to see what it looks like.

The ring cutting jig: that is what I was thinking about trying to make for myself. Have you ever cut cork and/or burl rings without a bandsaw?

Thanks for the info advice everyone ... still waiting for my seat and guides and I'm getting impatient!

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Dan, the thin dark rings next to the checkered ring, that looks like an 1/8" ring - am I right? That's what I'd like to try to get, an 1/8" dark burl ring. Do you think my idea for a jig would work? Could I make a clean cut with a coping saw or hack saw?
    I'm not sure if your idea will work. I can cut them for you if you want. I can put them in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard and they should make it in one piece. I think you already have my number. Give me a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I'm not sure if your idea will work. I can cut them for you if you want. I can put them in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard and they should make it in one piece. I think you already have my number. Give me a ring.
    Put some mayo and lettuce in there, and yummy, yummy!
    Dean, I haven't use it before, but I've seen pictures of the grip. You have the lines between the rings from the dye, but the cork is not affected. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. If Dano can cut the cork, take him up on it. Next grip I do, I might try to con him into cutting dome cork down for me.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

6. Likes dean_mt liked this post

Only one problem, reaming a 1/8" ring without breaking it is almost impossible. Give Dan an approximate diameter BEFORE he cuts them down. I fit the whole ring first then slice it.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Only one problem, reaming a 1/8" ring without breaking it is almost impossible. Give Dan an approximate diameter BEFORE he cuts them down. I fit the whole ring first then slice it.
    Good point. I'm going to glue and turn it on a 1/4" rod then ream it to fit.

Thanks for the message, Dan. I guess I better decide on the burl and get it ordered. I'll let you know when I get it it.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Good point. I'm going to glue and turn it on a 1/4" rod then ream it to fit.

Thanks for the message, Dan. I guess I better decide on the burl and get it ordered. I'll let you know when I get it it.
    I miss having a lathe.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

10. Likes wt bash liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Glue all your cork up and then ream it after its dried. I glue it, sand it to the shape I want on a drill, then ream it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Glue all your cork up and then ream it after its dried. I glue it, sand it to the shape I want on a drill, then ream it out.
    That is my exact plan of attack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast