Cork ring options? - flor, select, burl, composite rubber

dean_mt

Reaction score
I am onto exploring options for building my first truly customized grip. I've glued up and turned a few, but they were all cork rings I bought from the fly shop. The blank I am planning now was purchased online so I've naturally been spending a lot of time looking for parts and researching options online as well.

I want to add a design, or personal touch, to the grip on this rod. I saw a simple ring pattern that I like and am working on making it mine. In the end the grip will probably end around 2/3 cork with the remaining 1/3 being burl.

One question I have about burl rings; are they suitable for the last ring on either end of the grip or is the composite nature too prone to "chipping" or losing chunks?

On the rubber composite rings; does this stuff really sand down as equally as cork? Since the design I am thinking about using incorporates the colored rings throughout the grip (not just at the ends) I am leaning away from rubber composite because I am afraid it would wear too differently from the cork, feel strange, and eventually create ridges. Thoughts?

Finally, has anyone bought from Custom Fly Grips? They have a really nice selection of rings.

Thanks!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Really good cork is hard to come by these days and when you do you need to take out a loan to get it. Anglers Workshop has had all of the best cork I have bought for the last few years.

Even their last batch was not as good as some as I have bought from them, so you may need to do some fill. The best thing I have ever found for fill, and I have tried them all, is Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler. Indoor/Outdoor in Golden Oak.

As a second thought, you may want to do some cork burl accent rings. There are a lot of different kinds. However they have a radically different hardness than cork and to get a nice line in the linished grip you may want to turn those seperate and then add them to the rings and turn the cork down to the burl. Most of it you don't but with the rubberized cork you really should consider it.

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
I bought my birch rings from Custom Fly Grips. Haven't used their cork, but they were easy to buy from.

Rubberized doesn't sand down as quickly as cork. I use it on the bottom of the grip for sure since I don't worry about it chipping at all. For full wells grip I use it for the top but for half wells/cigar shape I may or may not. I don't find it too bad to sand down with the cork, it just takes a bit more pressure/time. For awhile I tried to use sanding blocks with mixed grips thinking that might help me sand evenly but prefer to use sandpaper in my hand. I find I can feel ridges through the paper and apply pressure by hand.

silvertip8k

Reaction score
Mud Hole is a fine supplier...offering fair prices on bulk too...they have 1 1/2" rings for those that like a beefier look and feel...also medium, dark and natural colors...in 1 &1/4"

and lots of different burls too...

I have turned burl on a few refurbishments...particularly old bamboo rods...it turns much more like "spongy" wood that typical cork...so it wont chip...but can be difficult on the boundary area between burl and typical cork...possibly taking away more material from the cork and leave a ridge...( it has a consistency of the rubber/cork rings used on butt pieces)...

I only have used burl on strictly burl grips because of running into that situation...after all the work of getting prepped to do a turn...and have to fix it, I decided never to try that again...:rolleyes: I didnt really like the contrast of color and texture so much either of the mix, only using it as a part of a butt section for more durability... I hope that helps a bit...t

frogg

Reaction score
I've used burl cork on the ends of grips with no problems.
The options of what you can use for accents in a grip are limited only by your imagination. I've used craft foam, birch bark, and different woods to customize grips. People have also old credit cards to put a clean white accent in grips.

Chris

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've used burl cork on the ends of grips with no problems.
The options of what you can use for accents in a grip are limited only by your imagination. I've used craft foam, birch bark, and different woods to customize grips. People have also old credit cards to put a clean white accent in grips.

Chris
Thanks for the tip, Chris. I like the look of thin trim bands on either side of an accent cork burl and have thinking about what to try to use there. I've heard about craft foam and gasket material but not credit cards.

I've decided to buy a small bulk of cheaper, mid-grade cork rings and burls to build and turn a couple experimental grips. Maybe I'll try a credit card...

frogg

Reaction score
Dean,
They also have 1/4" burnt rings that look great sandwiching an accent cork. If you only need a couple, I'd be happy to send you some. I'll post a pic of what I have to offer in a min...

Chris

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Here's what I've got in cork:

Clockwise from left: 1/2" green, 1/2" red, 1/2" blue, 1/4" dark mixed, 1/4" light mixed, 1/4" burnt, 1/2"dark mixed, 1/2" light mixed.

I also have some birch bark that can look great as a full grip or just accents.

Chris

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the offer Chris, that's really generous of you but I'll probably end up ordering a dozen or so with my cork so I have some extras to practice and play with different designs. Let me ask you this, and anyone else, have you ever cut your own rings? I've seen some nice custom grips that appear to have 1/8" rings in them.

I was thinking about making a jig by plunging the appropriate size router bite 1/8" into a block of hardwood, insert a 1/2" ring and cut with a coping saw or fine hacksaw blade since I don't have a band saw.

Anyone??

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let me ask you this, and anyone else, have you ever cut your own rings? I've seen some nice custom grips that appear to have 1/8" rings in them.
I have, but I have a jig for that. You can use it to make several thicknesses based on shims in the bottom. I also have a checker jig. I used to do it the hard way with miter box and saw, and cutting wedges on a table saw. All of my checkers were hardwood back then. Now I have done them in cork and cork composits.

As far as the hardwood goes, turn it seperate to the size you want then add it to the grip. Then turn the cork down to the wood. It's the only way to get a smooth transition from cork to wood.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Dan, the thin dark rings next to the checkered ring, that looks like an 1/8" ring - am I right? That's what I'd like to try to get, an 1/8" dark burl ring. Do you think my idea for a jig would work? Could I make a clean cut with a coping saw or hack saw?

mojo

Reaction score
I really like the rattan grips and have done quiet a few. I also love the look of a full length grip of birch bark.
But if you want to build a nice custom rod, sometimes less is more ( an oxymoron is coming). Golden Witch has a dye you mix with the wood glue when you glue up your grips. But instead of regular thickness cork, you get the jig to slice the the normal cork thinner. I built some grips years ago using the burnt and burled cork. They looked different for the time. I personally don't like them anymore. But that's just my taste. Here's a page from GW.
The Cork Slicing Jig: Golden Witch

On this, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the earth pigments. Check out the grip in the photo.
http://www.2computerchicks.com/Merc...reen=CTGY&Store_Code=GW&Category_Code=GRIPCRK

dean_mt

Reaction score
I really like the rattan grips and have done quiet a few. I also love the look of a full length grip of birch bark.
But if you want to build a nice custom rod, sometimes less is more ( an oxymoron is coming). Golden Witch has a dye you mix with the wood glue when you glue up your grips. But instead of regular thickness cork, you get the jig to slice the the normal cork thinner. I built some grips years ago using the burnt and burled cork. They looked different for the time. I personally don't like them anymore. But that's just my taste. Here's a page from GW.
The Cork Slicing Jig: Golden Witch

On this, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the earth pigments. Check out the grip in the photo.
Grips & Cork: Golden Witch
Thanks Mojo. I've perused the Goldenwitch site before and was curious about the glue dye. Do you have and experience with it? I wish they had a photo of a finished grip with it...I assume it doesn't stain the cork, just the glue?

I am starting to lean away from using burls as accents, after only a couple weeks of trying to decide how to fit burls into my grip. It is being used so often now on so many factory rods that I'm reconsidering. I still think they can look cool, but I am "anti-fad" to my core.

Now I am seriously considering the 1/8" ring grip. So I'd love to hear from anyone who has used the glue dye and I'd even love more to see what it looks like.

The ring cutting jig: that is what I was thinking about trying to make for myself. Have you ever cut cork and/or burl rings without a bandsaw?

Thanks for the info advice everyone ... still waiting for my seat and guides and I'm getting impatient!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dan, the thin dark rings next to the checkered ring, that looks like an 1/8" ring - am I right? That's what I'd like to try to get, an 1/8" dark burl ring. Do you think my idea for a jig would work? Could I make a clean cut with a coping saw or hack saw?
I'm not sure if your idea will work. I can cut them for you if you want. I can put them in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard and they should make it in one piece. I think you already have my number. Give me a ring.

mojo

Reaction score
I'm not sure if your idea will work. I can cut them for you if you want. I can put them in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard and they should make it in one piece. I think you already have my number. Give me a ring.
Put some mayo and lettuce in there, and yummy, yummy!;)
Dean, I haven't use it before, but I've seen pictures of the grip. You have the lines between the rings from the dye, but the cork is not affected. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. If Dano can cut the cork, take him up on it. Next grip I do, I might try to con him into cutting dome cork down for me.:shades:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Only one problem, reaming a 1/8" ring without breaking it is almost impossible. Give Dan an approximate diameter BEFORE he cuts them down. I fit the whole ring first then slice it.
Good point. I'm going to glue and turn it on a 1/4" rod then ream it to fit.

Thanks for the message, Dan. I guess I better decide on the burl and get it ordered. I'll let you know when I get it it.

mojo

Reaction score
Only one problem, reaming a 1/8" ring without breaking it is almost impossible. Give Dan an approximate diameter BEFORE he cuts them down. I fit the whole ring first then slice it.
Glue all your cork up and then ream it after its dried. I glue it, sand it to the shape I want on a drill, then ream it out.