The next step(s)

dean_mt

Reaction score
I hit a snafu with the reel seat I ordered. After 4 weeks I called Dan Craft and asked and then he called and found out that REC no longer makes the seat I ordered (fine, but why did I have to figure that out?). We got it straightened out and I'm getting the ABGS in black, which is a really nice light seat.

I've got the cork coming as well and I've talked to Diver Dan who will cut down a few rings for me if need be, thanks Dan!

But I was having a couple beers with my buddy tonight. He is a carpenter, woodworker and has a nice shop. I told him about my project and about the drill lathe mount I wanted to build. He's a creative thinking guy and said, "why not use a router? make a plywood mount and just screw the router into it?" It would stand rigid, take a 1/4" chuck and run at variable speed you set it to. I love this idea! I was ready to buy a used drill and construct a mount to hold it. I've not seen anyone use a router as a grip lathe. I'm going to try it!

I digress (I have been drinking and am excited about this router prospect). With the seat and corks and finally on the way, I've shifted to thread wrapping a color. I'm thinking about a two color wrap, black and green together for the guide wraps. A tipping wrap at the ferrule and stripping guide. Any thoughts on the double thread guide wrapping? I know it will difficult at best the closer to the tip. Advice is welcome, this rod has already been shaped by much of your thoughts and advice ... and it hasn't even begun!

I am getting really impatient for my parts!

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
Is this silk or nylon thread? Either way it sounds like a nightmare to me, are you wrapping them side by side? I've never tried it. Could be a cool effect, have pictures? Have you seen this thread? It can be a nice look, and I found if you put a single turn of black and silver twist into a black wrap it give you an olive branch wrap effect.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw it on another custom builder's site, I'll have try to find it again. Nylon thread, just wrapping two at the same time, I don't envision nightmare ... just major issues!

BTW, my uncle has a place up near Traverse City and I've always wanted to fish the Boardman. Thanks for the PM. Someday!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I've got the cork coming as well and I've talked to Diver Dan who will cut down a few rings for me if need be, thanks Dan!

I'm thinking about a two color wrap, black and green together for the guide wraps. A tipping wrap at the ferrule and stripping guide. Any thoughts on the double thread guide wrapping? I know it will difficult at best the closer to the tip.
You're welcome.

I have really good tricks for doing more than one color in a wrap. Including one that the colors fade from one to the other, but that one requires more than one thread tensioner. I generally do little thin accents at the ends of the guide wraps all the way to the tip. changing colors from one to another isn't hard if it's a clear change. Get a good ruler (64ths of an inch) so the change hits the same spot on each wrap of the same size guide. There is also a good trick I can show you for little those thin accents. This is green/black classic twist with thin mettalic blue accents

dean_mt

Reaction score
I have really good tricks for doing more than one color in a wrap. Including one that the colors fade from one to the other, but that one requires more than one thread tensioner. I generally do little thin accents at the ends of the guide wraps all the way to the tip. changing colors from one to another isn't hard if it's a clear change. Get a good ruler (64ths of an inch) so the change hits the same spot on each wrap of the same size guide. There is also a good trick I can show you for little those thin accents. This is green/black classic twist with thin mettalic blue accents
When you say this is a classic twist, do you mean you have two threads - a black and a green - in this wrap or is it the twist thread? It's a little hard to see in the photo. I like the blue tippings, very nice.

I've used this technique for single turn traps. http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/Wrapping Tutorials/Embedded Thread Spiral.pdf

I'm thinking of something like the 5 turn spiral he has there but for the entire guide wrap, two nylon threads though, no metalics.

frogg

Reaction score
Another option would be do the spiral over your main wrap.
Here I used metallic red and silver over a royal blue wrap.

Chris

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
But I was having a couple beers with my buddy tonight. He is a carpenter, woodworker and has a nice shop. I told him about my project and about the drill lathe mount I wanted to build. He's a creative thinking guy and said, "why not use a router? make a plywood mount and just screw the router into it?" It would stand rigid, take a 1/4" chuck and run at variable speed you set it to. I love this idea! I was ready to buy a used drill and construct a mount to hold it. I've not seen anyone use a router as a grip lathe. I'm going to try it!
Dean: Interesting concept about using a router, post some photos when you get to that step in the build, it will be interesting to see how this part of the project goes.

wt bash

Reaction score
Be careful with the router set up, a Sherline 4400 turns at 70 to 2800rpm a router blows that away make sure you have a solid head stock and your mandrel can handle that speed. For context while testing my home made beveller, different application I know, I shot a strip of bamboo through a plaster wall!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
When you say this is a classic twist, do you mean you have two threads - a black and a green - in this wrap or is it the twist thread?
It's Gudebrod Classic Twist thread. In one thread they have black and green twisted together. They make a red/black, green/black, white/black or did, I have very old spools. Maybe a couple others. Actually Gudebrod went out of business. It might be harder to find now. I used it on my Meiser and one T&T rod.

That thing you have in the link is kind of how I do the fade. You start off with one color, then 4 or 5 turns before where you want the second color to start to fade in in, take the second color and wrap loosely out of the way4 or 5 turns in the wrong direction. Have it through the second tensioner I mentioned. Then trap the end of the second color under the first color, make your 4 or 5 turns at which point your second color won't be turned around the blank at all. Pull the tension tight on the second color by turning the spool. Turn the two colors together like in your link. I only go 4 or 5 turns because if you go longer than that it detracts from the fading effect. Then take the first color and grab the thread and pull it so you can trap it under the second color and cut it. Get a few turns on it and and trim it off and bury the first color thread's end in the wraps.

I've actually never seen it on anyone else's rods before. That's the cool thing about building your own. You can do anything you want. It reminds me of what the guy running R.L. Winston said when I went and visited the factory when I was out visiting family. I showed them my 10 wt. Winston I built and they had the whole crew stop and was looking it over. One of the girls that does the thread asked why they couldn't something like that and he said "Because we have to make something almost everyone will like." I just have to make something I like.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I really like the "fade" idea you've done. Seems like it might be harder on a "small" 9' rod where none of the wraps are very long. I'm gonna do some practice wraps tonight and see what I can come up with.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Be careful with the router set up, a Sherline 4400 turns at 70 to 2800rpm a router blows that away make sure you have a solid head stock and your mandrel can handle that speed. For context while testing my home made beveller, different application I know, I shot a strip of bamboo through a plaster wall!
Maybe that's why I've never seen or heard of anyone using a router! :eek:

But it is variable speed, and you can turn it on then slow it down and it stays there, unlike an old variable speed drill that you have to gerry-rig the speed with a zip tie over the trigger.

We'll see, I'll be careful when setting it up. Thanks for the warning.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
It's Gudebrod Classic Twist thread. In one thread they have black and green twisted together. They make a red/black, green/black, white/black or did, I have very old spools. Maybe a couple others. Actually Gudebrod went out of business. It might be harder to find now. I used it on my Meiser and one T&T rod. .
I believe that's what is commonly called "Jasper" silk.