Bamboo Addiction

petee

Reaction score
New to the forum and haven't seen much in the way of Bamboo. But, I haven't learned my way around the forum yet either.

Any other Bamboo junkies out there? Sorry for all the pictures, but I am a junkie for burls and agates.

2 wt. 6'4", 2 piece Blonde. Wraps are YLI orange Silk with Jave Persall's Gossamer silk for the trim wraps, with a Yellow banded Agate. Hidden hood Wedding Band hardware with Walnut insert. Thought I would try something different when I machined this seat.

3 wt. 6'10" 2 piece Blonde. Wraps are Persall's Gossamer silk, red with black trim wraps. Nickel Silver Wedding Band with a Buckeye Burl insert, red banded agate

Sorry, I don't know why some pictures didn't go to 640 when I resized them on Photobucket.
Thanks for looking,
Pete

Mrtrout

Reaction score
Sweet little rods Pete, that early V1 looks good on cane as well.
Welcome to the forum.
S.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Pete: Welcome to the forum!
Those are a couple of sweet rods you have made, congrats!

Edit: Pete, I didn't see you are from the Central Coast. I grew up in Arroyo Grande, but didn't get into fly fishing until the mid-80's while in the AF and stationed in Colorado Springs.

popperfly

Reaction score
Pete, Welcome.

I believe you will find others into Bamboo rods here on the forum.
Myself, I am hooked now and always looking, did I mention the wife doesn’t like this new addiction. :D:eek:

petee

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome.

wt bash,
I actually pour my finishes. Saves having to keep the dip tube either stocked with fresh Spar, keeping it heated, or the worries about it going off and getting clumpy etc.... Takes about 4 to 5 oz. of Spar thinned 60/40 or 70/30 with mineral spirits to completely finish a rod.

Usually apply a couple of coats of straight Spar over the wraps with a bodkin, until the threads start to smooth out. Then enough coats of thinned Spar varnish until the wraps are completely smooth. Both of these rods have about 6 coats on them.

Pete

wt bash

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome.

wt bash,
I actually pour my finishes. Saves having to keep the dip tube either stocked with fresh Spar, keeping it heated, or the worries about it going off and getting clumpy etc.... Takes about 4 to 5 oz. of Spar thinned 60/40 or 70/30 with mineral spirits to completely finish a rod.

Usually apply a couple of coats of straight Spar over the wraps with a bodkin, until the threads start to smooth out. Then enough coats of thinned Spar varnish until the wraps are completely smooth. Both of these rods have about 6 coats on them.

Pete
That is wicked! I have a dip tank set up and everything but I tried a poured finish on a Banty I built and was really pleased the finish. I didn't wrap the guides on it yet at that time but I think I might try it on the next one. Thanks