Difference in weight of built rod from mfg's specs

barham

Reaction score
I recently wrapped a TFO BVK 8wt 9ft with a detachable fighting butt. I did nothing fancy with the wrap and the rod came out at 5.1 ounces according to my little postage meter scale. On TFO's website it lists that rod at 3.6 ounces.
Can anyone explain the large discrepancy?
Thanks,
David
barham

mojo

Reaction score
Easy Dave. The manufacturer's spec is just for the bare rod. The balance is what you added with the rod build (cork, reel seat, etc)

fae
Or, he's using a heavier reel seat and grip, although the cork weighs very little. That's only an once and a half difference.

mojo

Reaction score
You want to hear one that will make that little ounce and a half seem like nothing? I just weighed my Tibor 13/14/15 wt reel with my Carron JetSream line on it and it came out to 1 lb. 11 oz. and that's why I need the hairy chest. :D
I ain't touching that with a 14' spey rod.......:rolleyes:

newby

Reaction score
Must be the components. I weighed my 9' 5wt TFO BVK factory fly rod and it came out to manufacturers specs- 2.9 oz. Yet I weighed my Winston BIIt 8' 3wt with a factory weight of 2.125 oz and it weighed 2.7, so different manufacturers use different ways of weighing. A shame really. (I don't think the nickle silver reel seat and box elder insert could make that much of a difference?).

Auntie Em

Reaction score
You want to hear one that will make that little ounce and a half seem like nothing? I just weighed my Tibor 13/14/15 wt reel with my Carron JetSream line on it and it came out to 1 lb. 11 oz. and that's why I need the hairy chest. :D
Swooning!!!

robert_nguyen

Reaction score
The components you use could be the reason why. Also believe it or not, the amount of flex coat could also be a factor. We get phone calls like this at work all the time. We even had people build rods that weigh less than ours

mudbug

Reaction score
Easy Dave. The manufacturer's spec is just for the bare rod. The balance is what you added with the rod build (cork, reel seat, etc)

fae
Nope, that's the listed spec for the whole rod. (Actually the listed spec for a 9' 8 wt is 3.2 ounces.)

I should weigh mine and see how true that is.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
One rod being off vs another one that's dead on could very well be what the manufacturer weighed (or rather when). Just the blank, one number, built out another.

But for context the 'common penny' comes in at about 11 to the OZ 181/pound). Older pennies were at 145/pound. So the game here is the listing is 1/2 oz off, we're actually talking about the weight of 5 or 6 pennies.:wow:

plecain

Reaction score
Some of the rod-building videos I've seen always made me wonder about weight.

It looks to me like some of these videos put an ounce or two of epoxy on the handle and reel seat.