Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference in weight of built rod from mfg's specs

Default Difference in weight of built rod from mfg's specs

I recently wrapped a TFO BVK 8wt 9ft with a detachable fighting butt. I did nothing fancy with the wrap and the rod came out at 5.1 ounces according to my little postage meter scale. On TFO's website it lists that rod at 3.6 ounces.
    Can anyone explain the large discrepancy?
    Thanks,
    David
    barham

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Difference in weight of built rod from mfg's specs

Easy Dave. The manufacturer's spec is just for the bare rod. The balance is what you added with the rod build (cork, reel seat, etc)

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Easy Dave. The manufacturer's spec is just for the bare rod. The balance is what you added with the rod build (cork, reel seat, etc)

fae
    Or, he's using a heavier reel seat and grip, although the cork weighs very little. That's only an once and a half difference.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

You want to hear one that will make that little ounce and a half seem like nothing? I just weighed my Tibor 13/14/15 wt reel with my Carron JetSream line on it and it came out to 1 lb. 11 oz. and that's why I need the hairy chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    You want to hear one that will make that little ounce and a half seem like nothing? I just weighed my Tibor 13/14/15 wt reel with my Carron JetSream line on it and it came out to 1 lb. 11 oz. and that's why I need the hairy chest.
    I ain't touching that with a 14' spey rod.......
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

6. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Must be the components. I weighed my 9' 5wt TFO BVK factory fly rod and it came out to manufacturers specs- 2.9 oz. Yet I weighed my Winston BIIt 8' 3wt with a factory weight of 2.125 oz and it weighed 2.7, so different manufacturers use different ways of weighing. A shame really. (I don't think the nickle silver reel seat and box elder insert could make that much of a difference?).

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Swooning!!!

9. Likes Guest1 liked this post

The components you use could be the reason why. Also believe it or not, the amount of flex coat could also be a factor. We get phone calls like this at work all the time. We even had people build rods that weigh less than ours

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

fae
    Nope, that's the listed spec for the whole rod. (Actually the listed spec for a 9' 8 wt is 3.2 ounces.)

I should weigh mine and see how true that is.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

One rod being off vs another one that's dead on could very well be what the manufacturer weighed (or rather when). Just the blank, one number, built out another.

But for context the 'common penny' comes in at about 11 to the OZ 181/pound). Older pennies were at 145/pound. So the game here is the listing is 1/2 oz off, we're actually talking about the weight of 5 or 6 pennies.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast