Anyone use ProBond paste?

dean_mt

Reaction score
The long wait is over, I finally received my reel seat in the mail over the weekend. I had bought some 15 minutes ProBond from Mudhole back when I ordered cork, to give it a try.

They say that you don't have to be as exacting with the 1:1 mix, which is good because it's like mixing peanut butter with honey. I scooped out about a teaspoon of each and mixed it thoroughly and glued the seat and insert together. A couple hours later it was setting but still gooey. And this is the 15 minute set time stuff, not the 24 hour. So I pulled it apart while I could and went to bed.

This morning the left over glob on the insert was hard but it came off in one chunk. I guess I'll try again tonight and mix a larger amount and let it cure in a warmer place, my basement is pretty cool, but still, after all the positive reviews I've read about the stuff, I am a little disappointed. It was supposed to be easier than mixing two part liquid and set up very hard.

Anyone have experience with ProBond paste?

williamhj

Reaction score
I've tried probond and rodbond and had similar issues. I haven't taken the time to figure them out and just use 5-minute epoxy and haven't had any issues. I'm sure I'm just missing something with the former 2 and will watch the thread to see if someone fills in the blank :) I find 5 minutes plenty of time to glue up a reel seat or glue on a grip. It's cheap and easy.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've tried probond and rodbond and had similar issues. I haven't taken the time to figure them out and just use 5-minute epoxy and haven't had any issues. I'm sure I'm just missing something with the former 2 and will watch the thread to see if someone fills in the blank :) I find 5 minutes plenty of time to glue up a reel seat or glue on a grip. It's cheap and easy.
I also was not crazy about the paste consistency. It was not easy to spread a small enough amount on, again more like spreading peanut butter and when I pushed the seat barrel onto the insert there was quite a bit of excess to clean away. I may be heading to ACE for from some 5 minute epoxy this afternoon ...

Auntie Em

Reaction score
I used rod bond almost exclusively, and have never had any problems. Then again, I am totally AR, so measuring/mixing is as exact as is possible. I always leave a small glob on the mixing glass to know when it has set up. <mixing glass = 5x7 piece of plate glass, bound with masking tape to reduce cutting ones self! I use a dental spatula ... blade about an inch long and 1/4" wide. > Surprising how many rod building things come from the dental office!

wt bash

Reaction score
I've used it with no issues and still have some left but I go to devcon 2 ton epoxy more often than not. I'd rather have it cure slower just in case something happens I can still correct it without having to heat anything up. Room temperature is key with all things rod building aside from wrapping the guides. Once you're mixed up find the warmest room in the house and stash the rod there.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Auntie, I was using ProBond which is a different product than Rod Bond. Is Rod Bond a paste or liquid?

Anyway, I cleaned every up really well last night and started over. Temperature was definitely the first culprit. My basement lair where I do my stuff is quite cool. I scooped out some of the peanut butter and honey (resin and hardener, respectively) and let the globs warm next to my space heater, it made a huge difference in the consistency and is mixed together like butter. Very nice. It still took way longer than the stated 15 minutes set time, but this morning the left over epoxy is hard. So I am hoping, trusting, that is set properly.

Thanks for the advice.

45fisher

Reaction score
Dean,
I've used both ProBond and RodBond and prefer RodBond, but they are both excellent products and both are very forgiving in terms of amounts mixed. I like Auntie Em delve into the AR type of personality. And due to the very long working time for these paste epoxies I thoroughly mix and measure.

Having said this…that does not seem to have been your problem. It sounds more like a surface prep problem with possible contamination of the surface. I have attached a link to an article about surface prep and epoxy.

Having done a number of repairs/replacements on grips and handles I also find that really glossy blanks that are not prepped properly show a ‘lack’ of good adhesion to the grip or handle. The dried epoxy peels right off the blank.
Hope this helps.

Larry

Rodbuilding.org - Surface Preparation

rubberguy

Reaction score
I've used it with no issues and still have some left but I go to devcon 2 ton epoxy more often than not. I'd rather have it cure slower just in case something happens I can still correct it without having to heat anything up. Room temperature is key with all things rod building aside from wrapping the guides. Once you're mixed up find the warmest room in the house and stash the rod there.

I've found that generally the longer the set-up & drying time is, the stronger the finished product will be . $.02

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Larry. It is a great reminder. But my problem was simply with the wood insert and aluminium barrel of the seat ... granted I did not do a very thorough prep the first time. I did sand the finish off the wood and inside the barrel. I have not glued it to the blank yet. I am going to put a reel in it tonight and tighten it down to see if anything moves ... I hope not!