Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Turning wood for rods

i have a bunch of friends up there that do all kinds of amazing work turning wood.
    curious who your guy is

ARFE

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I missed this when you first posted it. As soon as I get a couple pieces for rods I have planned I'll just post it. He has a limited amount of stuff on hand and I don't wanna share till I get the ones I want. After that it's free for all time.
    Just give me a few days to get the stuff I want.

One of the rods is a 9' 10 wt. BIIX Winston. When Winston discontinued the BIIX , I got a few blanks before they were all gone. As I may have mentioned, my 9' 10 wt. BIIX is my favorite single hand rod. I thought very seriously about keeping the second one for life just like the first one. I may still do it. But since there is such fine wood around to turn a seat and grip parts, I thought I would build it.

This is the one I already built. That wood is double dyed stabilized box elder burl. I may even go a tad fancier with the cork portion. The new guy has wood that is nicer than what is in my rod, so maybe go all out on the grip.

That wood looks better in person. About a thousand little eyes.

If I ever actually buy a house, I would love to have a little shop and learn to work with wood, but with my crazy life right now, and my luck id buy a house and then be moving to a new state or country.

Wow some nice stuff I will have to bust out my lathe and turn some stuff for my bamboo rod project

I missed this when you first posted it. As soon as I get a couple pieces for rods I have planned I'll just post it. He has a limited amount of stuff on hand and I don't wanna share till I get the ones I want. After that it's free for all time.
    I've had a problem lately w/ my new ACR 6wt. I keep cracking the cork on the lower handle. 3-4 times already. the last time the whole end knob came off.
    I glue it back on with gorilla glue. if it happens again (& probably will !)
    can you turn a complete lower grip for a spey rod??? just curious - j.i.c. !!!

Does the blank go all the way through? Can you post a photo of what it's doing?

Yes you can turn a complete lowere grip. I'd do it in more than onepiece and make it all stabilized. Less likely to be a problem. My Meiser is all wood in the bottom grip. You can see it sort of in this photo. It was the first one I found that shows it.

the blank goes all the way except for the last 1/2 in. (approx.)

about an inch up from the bulb, I've cracked the cork a few times. usually only about 1/2 way around the grip. this last Saturday I pulled off the whole bulb.
    the last 3/4" of the grip. leaving 3/8" of blank exposed. akward casting that way!! i'll try to get a pic of the glue line.

8. Likes baseman1 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

I turn most of my wood I do for rods. Reel seat inserts, grips, trim etc. I have always had a hard time getting really good stuff to turn it with. Well those days are over. Take a look at what this guy I found is doing with stabilizing wood.

And it's cheaper than the stuff I got before that was double dyed stabilized. Great stuff huh?

Anybody else turn wood also?
    That stuff is a total jaw dropper! Brings the term "Pimp your ride" to a whole new level.

Killer!!

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

10. Likes Guest1 liked this post

It looks like they didn't get the end of blank glued to the grip well enough and it probably should have gone a bit deeper. You said you used Gorilla Glue? Did you get it on the blank also?

If it comes off again, I'd use 5 min. epoxy and make sure you get the end of the blank clean and then glue it as well. Not just your glue line in the cork. Just out of curiousity, are you underhand casting this rod? I only ask because it's an interesting break.

I almost forgot, you could turn a new end out of wood. Rotate the rod in a fast turner and cut the cork down square. Get the blank as clean as possible. turn a new knob out of wood. I'd use a stabilized wood but if you don't, finish it really well. It's not hard to turn the wood seperate of the rest of the grip. I always do the wood seperate because of the hardness difference.

12. Likes rubberguy liked this post

It looks like they didn't get the end of blank glued to the grip well enough and it probably should have gone a bit deeper. You said you used Gorilla Glue? Did you get it on the blank also?

If it comes off again, I'd use 5 min. epoxy and make sure you get the end of the blank clean and then glue it as well. Not just your glue line in the cork. Just out of curiousity, are you underhand casting this rod? I only ask because it's an interesting break.

I almost forgot, you could turn a new end out of wood. Rotate the rod in a fast turner and cut the cork down square. Get the blank as clean as possible. turn a new knob out of wood. I'd use a stabilized wood but if you don't, finish it really well. It's not hard to turn the wood seperate of the rest of the grip. I always do the wood seperate because of the hardness difference.
    yes, there is glue on the blank (3/8") but it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the cork. I only usually have 2 or 3 fingers on the bottom end, guess I must not be pulling in correctly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast