Just finished a new toy.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I just finished a 10' 7 wt. BIIX R.L. Winston. I don't remember who it was, somebody very wise, said "You can never have to many rods." Actually, that might have been me. :D

I just did a plain cork grip. I decided not to go overboard with this one.

Here is the feather inlay. I really like the way it turned out. Kind of has a flame look to it.

Here is the first stripper guide and the wrap. It hit the first ferrule so I went a tad long on the wrap so the guide was in the exact spot. It has a two turn green metallic trim band on the end and in the middle of a purple wrap. I just like the way purple looks on green That first stripper is the only one with a trim band in the middle. All the ferrules have on though. The strippers are Pac Bay N style. I like them for strippers because they have less frame and have the snake guide look to them. Seem more fitting with the fly rod look. They are also the irredescent finish that unfortunately they have discontinued. I still have a spare for everything in the event I damage a guide or tip in the future.

Here is the reel seat. Has a nice burl insert.

I got a tube from Winston to go along with it.

I am making a sock for it, and also one for the tube. I will probably label the cap. I almost always do. I'll post a photo of those when I am done.

williamhj

Reaction score
Very nice, simply and classy with a nice feather inlay. Isn't a 9' rod considered short for you?

You can never have too many rods... sounds right to me!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Long single hander. Yah I like the way the purple looks also. This color combo is one I got from a lady I know. My taste in color combos is like most guys. I dig through my least dirty clothes and that's my color coordination. :D Well maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean.

Women have been coordinating colors since the got their first Barbie. My whole schooling on color was Dress Blues in winter, Dress Whites in summer. :army: More than once I have asked women what colors would look best on a rod and have been glad I did. This combo is one.

I have that Trevor Morgan single hand WF7F line that spey casts like a rocket. It should really work well on this rod. I can't wait for the ice to go out and use this. Unfortunately it has been so stinking cold up here we are still building ice. I drilled holes last week and had almost 3' of ice on the river. I have a photo I should post. You know the bridge you see in so many of my photos. I have a picture of three full size trucks and a track vehicle with a plow parked together just up river of the bridges. We were well below 0 at night up here the last few days. Wednesday night it was -11 when I went to bed. So much for Spring. :cool:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
but dan, it's not a 20' 12 wt.....;);):p:p:p

casey
No, but before the ice goes it I am going to finish my 17' 11 wt. :D

Thomas and Thomas rolled the blank special for me. How nice of them huh? :thumbup: That nice T&T blue.

The way I got it was calling and asking if I could get something with the casting man logo on it for the weave pattern on that 14' 9 wt. I did. Just in a passing comment I asked them what the biggest rod they ever made was. They said that 17'er. I asked if they still made it, and they said no. I said to bad, because I would love to build one. The guy went, "Oh, we can roll you one." :eek::D How great is that? :thmbup:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Looks like you've done a great job with that rod. The feather inlay looks great and the reel seat is gorgeous. I have a factory version of the same rod that is my go to single hand rod for steelhead. You're going to really enjoy this one. Nicely done!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Sweet Dan! I was considering a burgandy thread go with the dark green, I'll keep purple in mind for the next time.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sweet Dan! I was considering a burgandy thread go with the dark green, I'll keep purple in mind for the next time.
I was just thinking about Burgandy for that 17'er I was talking about. I have a teal I was thinking about also. The blank is that dark T&T blue.

By the way, I just spined the rod and have to say, it is the most perfect multi piece blank I have ever touched in my life. The tip section is as straight as a laser beam. It's the only peice that wasn't really hard to find the spine on. It has a spine, the rest either don't or barely do. The piece next to the tip is spinless and the next two barely have one. I'm not sure who designed the blank but it is awsome. They did an amazing job making it. It is flawless.

I am going to spend a lot more time on the grip than I did the Winston. I cut a set of trim bands for the grips that are really interesting. Instead of checkers, I made a an overlapping zig-zaggy dark cork line set in nice white cork. :icon_bigg I'll have to take some photos when I get it done.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK, I just finished making the sock and the bag for the rod tube. I may be one of the few people around who make a case for their case. :rolleyes: They are easy to do and my rod tubes all look pretty much like new.

I didn't have green thread for the sock, which kind of sucked. I don't have anyplace in town to buy it anymore. The recession has taken out both of the places that did. I have to travel at least 45 miles now to get it. I did have purple and thought it went with the rod anyway so I used it. If I had green I would have used it. I used to have a logo embroidered on the socks, and still do sometimes, but this I can do myself. The color on the rod came out better in this photo. The feather inlay is easier to see. In real life the purple is darker than in the photo and so is the grey the inlay is on. Closer to the first photos. I used a flash this time and it made stuff hop out in the photo.

I made The sock for the photo out of this thick cloth that looks like dyed suede. Feels like it as well. Great stuff. It also hides the fact it's a fly rod case. Not really a problem up here. Up here they might steal it because the thought it was a cool package for a case of cigarettes. :D Anyway, less likely that they would want to steal it if they don't know what it is.

williamhj

Reaction score
If there's a thread you can't get in town let me know. We've got a store close by and it would be easy to drop in the mail. My wife has started making rod bags for me. Look good sizd right, and tons of color options.