Old Bamboo Rods

sumojo

Reaction score
I Have Just recently got two old Bamboo Fly rod from a friend that i would like to fix up one is all there it just needs wrapped and the other one needs a lot of work i will take some pictures and post them up so you all can take a look.
Thanks Joseph

sumojo

Reaction score
Ok uploading pics to photobucket right now

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

First rod.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Second Rod.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The second rod is a Japanese spin/fly. With that many separate sections you might be able put together a nice little "banty", but as is the rod is not something that you need to worry about restoring.

The first rod is probably a Shakespeare, but manufactured by one of the other major rod companies H-I, Monique, South Bend or maybe even Heddon
Whoever rebuilt it last time did a less than stellar job and it could use some love. Throw out those spinning rod guides and start fresh.
Even with the short tip, if there's no more unseen damage it might make for a decent fishin' pole

wt bash

Reaction score
I don't want to be the guy to poop in your proverbial cereal but you gotta lot of work there for some nothing special rods. You could definitely salvage a shorty from the Japanese rod but the top needs to be stripped and refinished, they'll both need new ferrules and that's around 60/70 bucks for a three piece. Most likely new seats which could run up pretty high as well. Factor in the time it all takes and its a fairly involved restoration. While bringing these old rods back to life is a lot of fun, it can also be a a lot of headaches, for the time, effort, and cost you might be better off buying a varnished/ferruled blank and finishing it. That said, it would be good practice for when you come across a banged up South Bend, Heddon, Orvis or Leonard. If you got the tools and the time go for it!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
On the first rod, can't see all the ferrules, but the ones shown look fine to me.
The same with the seat and grip.
The only cost (hopefully) would be 5-6 bucks for a set of guides plus some varnish.
Barring any unforeseen problems, a worth while project in my book.... especially if it's a first time practice/re-build

You could probably even salvage ferrules from the Japanese rod.... they're chromed brass and wouldn't be as nice as the nickle silver ones there now, but we're not expecting much anyway.

Last edited:

sumojo

Reaction score
OK, you are safe fixing them. Have you ever done it? If not, I can talk you through it. Also should have asked, do you build rods?
No Dan i have never done this before but will give it a go. And to your answer i do not Build rods but it dose looks interesting to me like something i could get in to and have some fun

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

The second rod is a Japanese spin/fly. With that many separate sections you might be able put together a nice little "banty", but as is the rod is not something that you need to worry about restoring.

The first rod is probably a Shakespeare, but manufactured by one of the other major rod companies H-I, Monique, South Bend or maybe even Heddon
Whoever rebuilt it last time did a less than stellar job and it could use some love. Throw out those spinning rod guides and start fresh.
Even with the short tip, if there's no more unseen damage it might make for a decent fishin' pole
Thanks RipTide i just didnt know if they we of any value only to me , i would like to fix them up to have a little project so to speak i would like fix them up to use them.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I don't want to be the guy to poop in your proverbial cereal but you gotta lot of work there for some nothing special rods. You could definitely salvage a shorty from the Japanese rod but the top needs to be stripped and refinished, they'll both need new ferrules and that's around 60/70 bucks for a three piece. Most likely new seats which could run up pretty high as well. Factor in the time it all takes and its a fairly involved restoration. While bringing these old rods back to life is a lot of fun, it can also be a a lot of headaches, for the time, effort, and cost you might be better off buying a varnished/ferruled blank and finishing it. That said, it would be good practice for when you come across a banged up South Bend, Heddon, Orvis or Leonard. If you got the tools and the time go for it!
Hey Wt Bash i do realize this is a big job and i thank you for the comments i think it would be a fun project for myself as far as restoring or just fixing these rods is the Question i should ask myself i guess. i have never done this before but am willing to give it a try and learn all about doing this.
Thanks Joseph

Rip Tide

Reaction score
That reel seat looks like Bakelite and nicklesilver to me. I wouldn't ever replace that if I didn't have too !
In fact if I were to decide that rod was worth nothing more than a tomato stake, I'd salvage the reel seat for another project

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I think i would leave the reel seats and just re wrap the guides or replace them if need be
The reel seat on the Japanese rod is junk. It's very thin chromed brass over a pine dowel. In fact the rod itself isn't that great and never was.
The one that I had when I was a kid cost $3.
IMHO that rod would be a waste of effort unless you were to strip it down for parts for a "banty".

A banty is a short, light weight fly rod and they're often made from the tip and mid sections of a 9' bamboo rod. If you were to match the fly tip and mid from that rod and maybe include the butt section from above the grip this might be very possible.
But forget about that seat/grip. You'd need better (and smaller)
I suggest that you put that rod away for a while while you work on the other one. And once you have more experience, think about it

Last edited:

sumojo

Reaction score
Well I think I will look in to what needs done for the second one maybe make a banty rod

Last edited:

pjcalla

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the same boat. I bought 3 Montague rods with some materials and supplies for $30 to my door with the intention of refinishing them for practice. I'm liking the "banty" idea for one of them. I have guides, ferrules, and thread (came with them). What is the first thing I do? Should I strip the old finish off, or just start wrapping guides? I searched for a "how-to" on this, but came up empty. Most of the threads about refinishing bamboo rods talked about what rod/condition they started with, but none were updated with the process or final product. Maybe we can change that this time. Obviously, I'm a complete noob. Thanks.

If you (op) want me to start a new thread, let me know.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
PJ.... where you start is relative to what needs to get done and how involved you want to get.
Some rods might need to be stripped down to the blank and then started over from scratch while others might just need a wipe down with some solvent.

I got a rod right here that I just cleaned up and repaired 2 wraps and now it's just waiting on some varnish
There's another rod in the other room that's completely stripped and waiting for me to get around to a complete re-build

pjcalla

Reaction score
Well, all the guides are off the rod (came that way). Not sure if I need to strip old finish off or not. It looks pretty good from what I can tell. These are my first bamboo rods, so not really sure what to look for besides a bubbled finish. I'll get some pics to show you what I'm working with. If anyone cares.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If the guides are off and the finish doesn't look bad, you can probably just clean up the existing finish with some mineral spirits and get to wrapping.
Measure out were the guides go first as the mineral spirits may erase the "ghosts"
Also be very careful around any markings or stickers that be harmed.

pjcalla

Reaction score
If the guides are off and the finish doesn't look bad, you can probably just clean up the existing finish with some mineral spirits and get to wrapping.
Measure out were the guides go first as the mineral spirits may erase the "ghosts"
Also be very careful around any markings or stickers that be harmed.
Thanks for the info. As for new guides, for the one I'm thinking of doing a banty, wouldn't I have to place them in different spots than original since I am changing the overall length?

Also, if you have any experience with making a banty from an old rod, would I have to take the ferule off the new butt section in order to put a new cork grip on? Or could I leave it on, and just put a new grip/reel seat over the top? Sorry for the newb questions.

Here are some pics of the rods in question:

Thanks for the help so far.

sumojo

Reaction score
So you guys wheres a good place for guides and a new handle oh yeah and thread or would silk be better I know these are not the best rods but I would like to make them nice and not just put a bow on them . Because you can put a bow on a piece of poop and its still poop so to speak . I would like them to be better then that if im going to learn anything.