What do you need to start?

nick k

Reaction score
What exactly is required to start out rod building, both in terms of money investment and equipment? I've thought about trying my hand at rod building but have no advanced tools and assume I might need some.

williamhj

Reaction score
If you're talking graphite or fiberglass it's actually not that bad. The rod wrapper can be made out of cheap/scrap wood and nuts, bolts, and springs from a hardware store. Some people use a cardboard box and a book for tension. Need razor blades, something smooth to pack wraps (I've used round plastic stir sticks but also have one made for rod building), cheap craft brushes and mixing cups. For turning the rod while the finish sets you can do it by hand but motors are free (people take them from some small appliances), I got mine on ebay for less than $20, with a stand and support from cheap wood. I probably forgot something, but it's really pretty basic. I use far more tools and such for fly tying.

I do know bamboo is much more complex if you're starting from a culm. If you're starting from a ferruled blank it's basically the same as graphite though finish process can be different. If you're starting from an unferruled blank you'll need some other stuff to ferrule it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I turn my rods by hand. I don't think it's a big deal and I even have a motorized turner.
As far as I'm concerned, the only "advanced tool" that you need is something to keep tension on the thread. A mouse trap works.
I've wrapped a rod sitting in an arm chair with the thread spool next to me and the thread passing under my leg. You can do it that way, but when you cut the thread, then you have to locate the end again.:rolleyes:

The stem of your fly tying bobbin poked through your cardboard box works too.
I did it that way last time I built a rod and was away from home.

Like this

nick k

Reaction score
And how do self built rods compare to store bought? If you buy the same blanks, are the differences just cosmetic, or does the way you built it drastically effect its performance or change its characteristics?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
And how do self built rods compare to store bought? If you buy the same blanks, are the differences just cosmetic, or does the way you built it drastically effect its performance or change its characteristics?
Unless you epoxy the entire blank (bad idea) the action will be the same as a store bought rod.

tedp

Reaction score
Changing the number, type and location of guides on a custom built rod would make the rod behave differently than a shelf rod built on the same blank. Differing grip and seat styles would also change the balance. I am not sure how significant the changes are, however.

nick k

Reaction score
So it's safe to say that its more about saving money and making slight cosmetic changes than building a rod that performs differently?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Do you tie flies? If so, you already most of the tools needed: good scissors, bobins, bodkins...

If you use a pre-formed or completed grip then the only special tool you would need is a rod turner to keep the epoxy level as it cures, or you can do it by hand like Rip suggested. You'll just have to baby-sit the rod for a couple-few hours rather than walk away and let it turn. They are about $50-75.

You need a rat tail file or two to ream the grip to fit, a flat file to prep guide feet.

Check out some websites: Mudhole or Angler's Workshop both sell building tools and you can price out rod turners. There are plenty of other sites, those two have lots of stuff.

nick k

Reaction score
I do tie my own flies and it seems then that I have the necessary tools. I can borrow the appropriate files from my father. I wouldn't mind hand turning the rod but may see how cheap I can find a motor.

Thanks for the help here everyone.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
or you can do it by hand like Rip suggested. You'll just have to baby-sit the rod for a couple-few hours rather than walk away and let it turn. .
Actually it's less than 45 minutes until the finish sets-up enough so that you can ignore it and it won't sag.
At first you want to give the rod a 1/4 turn every few minutes, but once you get to around 20-30 min. you can wait as much as 10 minutes between turns

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I do tie my own flies and it seems then that I have the necessary tools. I can borrow the appropriate files from my father. I wouldn't mind hand turning the rod but may see how cheap I can find a motor.

Thanks for the help here everyone.
Turning by hand is very possible, you can find a cheap drying setup on Ebay for $30.

tedp

Reaction score
So it's safe to say that its more about saving money and making slight cosmetic changes than building a rod that performs differently?
I am not a good enough fly caster to answer that for a fly rod. For a spinning or casting rods, you can absolutely get better performance with a custom rod than an off the shelf rod. You can also build rods that aren't available for specific applications.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Actually it's less than 45 minutes until the finish sets-up enough so that you can ignore it and it won't sag.
At first you want to give the rod a 1/4 turn every few minutes, but once you get to around 20-30 min. you can wait as much as 10 minutes between turns
45 minutes? Wow, that is a lot faster than I would have thought.

I read an article (in Rod Builder archive I think) in which the author claimed that it is easier to get a perfect finish turning by hand for a time. The idea, which makes sense, is that unless you can apply a perfectly level coat of epoxy, consistent turning will not change it. It won't sag, but it also will not completely self level out because it is continuously rotating at a slow RPM. Rather, the article suggests apply the finish and then letting it sit still until it does start to sag. Then rotate the blank 90 degrees and let is flow until it again sags on the opposite side. Do that a couple time until the finish has leveled and evened out across the wrap. Then let it turn to cure without further sagging.

gary w

Reaction score
I just purchased a used rod building jig on here, and I have not yet built a rod, but I don't look at it as much of a case of saving money as I do the gratification of building the rod then catching a fish on a fly I tied, on a rod I built. But that's just me.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
A few things that I can offer based on a long history with this passion;

You will need desire.

A genuine love of nature & the out of doors

You must be impervious to bad weather and days when you catch nothing

A willingness to learn about aquatic environments and the myriad of species that call the riparian home

Tackle and casting skills are mere window dressings if you don't have the other things tucked away first.

Ard

nick k

Reaction score
Ard: I appreciate the points, and all are definitely true, although my post was in regards to fly rod building specifically. I've just about mastered being impervious to the elements by now. Fly fishing in Boston is no easy feat with our seasons.