Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17' 11 wt, T & T

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default 17' 11 wt, T & T

Well I'm almost finished with my 17' 4 pc. 11 wt. Thomas and Thomas two hander. I did all the thread work on the top three pieces, and turned the top grip. I used stabilized burl for the ends of the grip and did a variation of checkers in dark and light cork. I used blue cork burl instead of real cork. The reason is that the last cork I got in an attempt to get good stuff still cost me $3.50 a ring and needed fill anyway. This was a lot cheaper and I wanted to do one like this anyway. The photos did not turn out very well as far as color goes, they are more blue than what shows on my monitor anyway.

I'm making the seat downlocking because even though I have a giant reel for this thing, I also have 17' of 11 wt' to balance. Every little bit helps. I have the bottom grip glued up and ready to turn. I'll do it tomorrow. It has the same wood starting against the seat in a mirror image of the other end. It's followed by the same checker variation.

In the top photo, the cork against the wood will match beter when I get the cork seal on it. I did the rest of the grip but did not want to get it on the wood. I'll go back with a smaller brush and fix it. Plus when it dries it will match more closely. It was still wet when I snapped the photo.

Default 17' 11 wt, T & T

That's one long, and nice looking, stick.

Default Re: 17' 11 wt, T & T

nice dan I agree with doing a down locking for balance, it helps with the loooong rods..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Blog Entries

Great job on the wood and cork Dan
    ghocevar it's not a long stick for Dan....he's looking for a 20'

5. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Wow Great Job

Beautiful work Dan, looks great!

Beautiful work Dan, you are king of the tall rod boys.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

Awesome stuff Dan! The stabilized burl looks very sharp, and I like the idea of using the down-lock to help with balance. 17' is a whole lot for only one reel to deal with, haha.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

10. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Awesome looking rod.

If you don't mind me asking, why 17'? Are you expecting to be able to toss a fly twice as far as with a 9 or 19' rod. As new as I am to this sport, that seems like a highly specialized rod, but for what purpose?

Thanks,

What'cha gonna call it,,,the Dan ONE ? LOL
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast