Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: One for me: 9' 5wt

Default One for me: 9' 5wt

Here is a 9' 5wt rod I just finished for myself. It's based on one that I made for my dad last year. It has all the same components with two differences; a different blank and same thread without CP this time, which made a nice dark green almost black on the green blank.

The blank is a green 9' 5wt from Ye Old English Fly Shop bought at the Denver fly fishing show. Snake guides and tip top are bronze original style from Snake Brand and the bronze stripping guide is from the Golden Witch. Reel seat is a tich finish with tulipwood insert from Dave Winslow and the grip is my second birch bark grip (wow I love these but they are a pain to turn on a drill) with rubberized cork on either end and 8 coats of tru-oil to bring out a nice finish.

Pictures aren't ideal and light looks funny on some of the wraps, but I hope the colors come through alright.

Hopefully I'll get it on the river soon.

Thanks for looking
    - William

2. Likes dakotakid, mojo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: One for me: 9' 5wt

William: Congrats on a great looking rod, you should get some great pleasure out of fishing that rod. Love the way birch bark grip turned out. What kind of action is the blank?
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    William: Congrats on a great looking rod, you should get some great pleasure out of fishing that rod. Love the way birch bark grip turned out. What kind of action is the blank?
    +1, I really like that grip.

Thanks Larry and Spider. Feels good to have it done. The blank is described as medium-fast action, which seems about right from the yard shaking I've done, but I'll have to see once I get it on the water.
    - William

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Nice rodhope you'll manage to take this baby out very soon

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    Nice rodhope you'll manage to take this baby out very soon
    Thanks! I'm hoping too. If not this weekend, hopefully next.
    - William