Who wants to...

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
Build a custom rod. I'll pay for everything. I just want something that sands out from the others. A good conversation piece. I have no idea what anythings costs but I'll do the research. Jut looking for a craftsman.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are some very good craftsmen members on the forum...but also two craftswomen (Auntie Em and Joni):)...think you should find someone to build a beautiful rod for you.;)

Auntie Em

Reaction score
How much do you want it to stand out from the others? What is your time frame? Have you done any investigating as to the rod blank, grip, reel seats, guides, etc? Costs involved? Are you looking for a conversation starter, or a fly rod (as in to use)?
You know where I am......

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
Looking to possibly do a 6wt ONE. I get a killer deal on blanks (195.00). No real tight time frame. I was guessing parts would be about 150-200 for the grip, seat, guides, silk thread, fighting but, adhesives... the whole 9 yards(is that a high guess or low guess). Id be willing to pay for everything, including labor. obviously i want to fish it, but i want it to be a conversation starter "where did you get a ONE like that". That kind of thing. Id even be willing to rep. a logo or marking if you had one on the rod. im all about advertising and trying to get other people business.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
After giving it much thought, I feel it would be best if you continued on your search for a rod builder. What you are looking for is not what I am. I build only class rods, not brash. I don't build for advertising.
You are on the low end of estimates for a high quality rod.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
A friend of mine has built me a few rods and recently decided to stop taking any new orders due to time/family/financial commitments.

As a result, I have decided to start building my own. I'm going to play around with a few cheap blanks that will serve as guinea pigs/back up/spare rods. Once I get the general steps down, another friend of mine wants a 4wt so I will build that for him. Then I will be building an Xi3 for myself!

This may be a fun option for you as well...nothing like the pride of fishing your own creations.

petee

Reaction score
Details, we need build details. Each custom builder has their own style. Mine, for example, is more of a traditional older school style. As I tell customers I don't do loud Nascar or the Bass Pro circuit colors. Don't do weaves, checkerboard handles or feather inlays. Not a single thing wrong with them, they just don't fit my own personal style. Hence the need for details before a builder might offer up their services. We each have our own comfort level where we do our best work.

If you go with silk on a black blank like the "One" expect it to disappear without Color Preserver. Then if you go with CP you might as well go with an NCP thread. With a black blank about the only place the thread would show up without CP is on the guide feet. <----- Personal Opinion

Example of what I mean by different styles. To me this is what I would consider traditional Sorry for pic, the rod isn't completely finished yet.

Pete

baitwaister

Reaction score
Personally I think this poster is trolling. He could have easily looked through the rod posts and contacted through a message a builder whose style fit his requirements. I have been contacted this way to do rod builds. On another note Petee what are your impressions of that Epic fiberglass blank?

petee

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply to your question. Just got back from shooting sporting clays in Nevada :D.

The Epic blanks? I love em. smooth, straight tracking and accurate. They claim that they are a fast glass and they are. Next best thing to Bamboo. Faster with more of a med/ slow action graphite. Like any Bamboo or glass you have to feel what the rod is telling you. Just became a "certified" builder for them :)

robert_nguyen

Reaction score
After giving it much thought, I feel it would be best if you continued on your search for a rod builder. What you are looking for is not what I am. I build only class rods, not brash. I don't build for advertising.
You are on the low end of estimates for a high quality rod.
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I couldnt agree more with your reply. Some people REALLY need to do their research when it come to having a custom rod built.

Last edited: