Starting out - Tool list

nick k

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and try my hand at rod making. I'm not looking to get too fancy off the start, but I'd like to know what tools you guys think are essential to do the job. By tools, I mean actual hardware, not thread, epoxy, etc.

I'm probably gonna get a rod wrapper or dryer. Do I need a cork reamer? What about files, drills, sandpaper, other stuff? Also, whats the best site to acquire rod making supplies?

I appreciate any help that you guys can give.

nick k

Reaction score
I would still be interested to know what sites you guys use to order parts, however. Anglers Roost seems like a good place for cheap parts but I'm not sure how their products hold up.

williamhj

Reaction score
Utmost enterprises gets a % off Batson blanks and components etc as well as perhaps Pac Bay. If you email them they are very helpful and charge actual shipping. Also used blanks from Ye Old English Fly Shop and like them, good blanks for the cost, made one for my wife and one for myself. To Rip Tide's list I'd also add Acid Rod. Depending on what you are looking for Golden Witch has some great components. They might focus more on bamboo, but I also like getting stripping guides from them. Most of the stripping guides page is agate but near the bottom are some great ones for graphite rods.

I've used blanks, both graphite and bamboo, from Angler's Roost and they are fine, personally I'd use snake brand guides though. Great quality and the guide feet sit very well on the blank without having to do a bunch of prep work. They cost more but they are worth it. Here is their site or Proof Fly fishing is another place to get them. Matt got me into fishing and is distributor for Snake Brand and also sell quality cork if you want to turn your own grip otherwise most of the other sites sell pre-made grips.

Building a wrapper is very very easy and pretty cheap. Here are some plans.

dean_mt

Reaction score
In addition to Rip's list of suppliers, and Acid Rod (which I like a lot) as William mentioned , Dan Craft is great dealer. His website is rather large and clunky, but if you give him a call he's very helpful.

This wrapper is about as simple as they come, pretty cheap, and looks be perfectly functionally for a first time.
Mud Hole Custom Builder Hand Wrapper | mudhole.com

nick k

Reaction score
In addition to Rip's list of suppliers, and Acid Rod (which I like a lot) as William mentioned , Dan Craft is great dealer. His website is rather large and clunky, but if you give him a call he's very helpful.

This wrapper is about as simple as they come, pretty cheap, and looks be perfectly functionally for a first time.
Mud Hole Custom Builder Hand Wrapper | mudhole.com
Yeah looks like a nice cheaper model. I plan to make a spey rod after I get the hang of things. Will this and similar models work when wrapping longer speys? Or will I need a bigger tool geared for those applications?

half fast

Reaction score
It's been many many years since I built a rod, but I used to get by with a zero cost wrapper. I cut a couple of notches in a shoe box to support the blank, then placed the spool of thread in a small box so it could freespool and not go anywhere. Then I ran the thread through the pages of a large book en route to the blank to apply tension. Tension was easily adjusted by the number of pages on top of the thread.

Worked perfectly. I'm still fishing with an Orvis that I built that way.

petee

Reaction score
Personal Opinion: That Mudhole wrapper looks like a PITA to wrap tips and first guides on. I would look or make one that gets the thread closer to the tip without a ton of overhang. That and you might want to make some additional rests to support the blank sections when you have quite a bit of overhang. Just a thought. Not the best picture of my wrapper, but hopefully the visual will clear up my babbling:

nick k

Reaction score
petee:

I see what you mean. I remember that picture from your thread on your rod building shack. Pretty impressive.

I am now leaning towards the Eco-Wrapper which has gotten great reviews.

silvertip8k

Reaction score
IMHO make your own....a bit of 1X and after you are done you will have much better overview as to what is going on...

wrap a few guides dry for starters...there is no offense at untying and re tying...

the same jig you use to help wrap will also be a valuable tool in spinning on some finish or epoxy...also make some extra stands for longer spins...especially for the epoxy process if you go that route...

Last edited: