What are these components?

nick k

Reaction score
Hey guys,

To preface, I'm just about to start rod building and have never built one before. I'm going to buy a kit to make a spey rod and the kit includes some items that I'm not familiar with (please see picture below). Can someone tell me what purpose these components serve in the build?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hahaha
Those are winding checks. They're to mask the mistakes that you made when you reamed out the cork :rolleyes:

Seriously
One of the proper size will sit right on top of the cork, before the first wrap of thread

williamhj

Reaction score
For what its worth, if you want to dress the rod up a bit you can purchase metal winding checks with different finishes and looks. Once the grip is on just measure the diameter of the blank right above it. Rod building sites sell them, and there are a lot on ebay. They are measured by mm, inches, and /64th of an inch depending on manufacturer but that's just the interior diameter of the check, which should fit the blank.

Last edited:

Auntie Em

Reaction score
I say this with much understanding ... "thank you for getting my day off with a smile!" When you first start rod building, it can be very daunting! We ALL were there at one time or another!!
Hang in there .... keep asking questions .... it won't be long before the comfort level rises! :icon_wink

nick k

Reaction score
It is indeed very daunting. Lots of terminology and different components. I'm actually picked a nice reel seat I want to use for a built but can't determine if it will match with any fighting butts or how the butt will be added to it.

I did find this resource today that helps: Rod Building Guide

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Two things to watch out for if you want to change the reel seat in the kit.

1. Recessed Hood seats- What this means is the top of the reel seat fits into the bottom of the foregrip.
2. Of course the ID (inner diameter) of the seat your substituting should be less that the OD (outer diameter) listed for the butt of the blank.

nick k

Reaction score
Very helpful information, thank you for it. Although, don't you mean that the ID of the real seat should be GREATER than the OD of the blank? I assume it wouldn't fit through if it was the other way around.

The spey kit I mentioned in this will actually be a later rod that I build. I want to build a single hander first and know that it doesn't come out like a goopy popsicle stick before I try a 2 hander.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Very helpful information, thank you for it. Although, don't you mean that the ID of the real seat should be GREATER than the OD of the blank? I assume it wouldn't fit through if it was the other way around.

The spey kit I mentioned in this will actually be a later rod that I build. I want to build a single hander first and know that it doesn't come out like a goopy popsicle stick before I try a 2 hander.
Yes, I got it backwards :eek:. As if this isn't already confusing enough for you lol. Good luck with the first rod and post pics, we want to see it :)