The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Fly Rod Building (
-   -   What are these components? (

nick k 06-19-2013 03:15 PM

What are these components?
Hey guys,

To preface, I'm just about to start rod building and have never built one before. I'm going to buy a kit to make a spey rod and the kit includes some items that I'm not familiar with (please see picture below). Can someone tell me what purpose these components serve in the build?

Rip Tide 06-19-2013 03:31 PM

Re: What are these components?
Those are winding checks. They're to mask the mistakes that you made when you reamed out the cork :rolleyes:

One of the proper size will sit right on top of the cork, before the first wrap of thread

nick k 06-19-2013 03:46 PM

Re: What are these components?
Thanks for the help Rip. Are 3 of them necessary, or just 1?

Rip Tide 06-19-2013 04:03 PM

Re: What are these components?
Just one, but they're wicked cheap and you need the correct size

williamhj 06-19-2013 11:28 PM

Re: What are these components?
For what its worth, if you want to dress the rod up a bit you can purchase metal winding checks with different finishes and looks. Once the grip is on just measure the diameter of the blank right above it. Rod building sites sell them, and there are a lot on ebay. They are measured by mm, inches, and /64th of an inch depending on manufacturer but that's just the interior diameter of the check, which should fit the blank.

nick k 06-20-2013 07:04 AM

Re: What are these components?
Thanks guys.

swirlchaser 06-20-2013 08:55 AM

Re: What are these components?
The reason they give you 3 sizes is some builders prefer to put them on after thread and epoxy. If that's the case you will need a larger diameter to get over the thread and epoxy.

Auntie Em 06-20-2013 09:26 AM

Re: What are these components?
I say this with much understanding ... "thank you for getting my day off with a smile!" When you first start rod building, it can be very daunting! We ALL were there at one time or another!!
Hang in there .... keep asking questions .... it won't be long before the comfort level rises! :icon_wink

nick k 06-20-2013 09:34 AM

Re: What are these components?
It is indeed very daunting. Lots of terminology and different components. I'm actually picked a nice reel seat I want to use for a built but can't determine if it will match with any fighting butts or how the butt will be added to it.

I did find this resource today that helps: Rod Building Guide

swirlchaser 06-20-2013 09:43 AM

Re: What are these components?
Two things to watch out for if you want to change the reel seat in the kit.

1. Recessed Hood seats- What this means is the top of the reel seat fits into the bottom of the foregrip.
2. Of course the ID (inner diameter) of the seat your substituting should be less that the OD (outer diameter) listed for the butt of the blank.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.40 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2005-2017 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.