Size 3 tip tops?

nick k

Reaction score
So I was planning on buying some 4pc 9'0'' 7wt blanks from Anglers Roost. I reached out to John who runs the place to ask the butt section OD and tip top OD so I could get the appropriate winding checks and tip top. He then told me that the tip top was a 3.0. After a few back and forth emails to confirm whether he was telling me it was 3.0mm or Size #3.0, he confidently told me that it was a size #3.0. The problem is, I don't think they make size 3.0. I can't find any tip tops that go below size #3.5, and I assume those would be for UL rods.

I'm completely new to rod building but I feel like I'm being misled. Thoughts anyone?

williamhj

Reaction score
Yeah a lot of tip tops don't come that small! Here's one I found on mudhole's site, not sure the finish you're looking for but they do have some others in that size. Also found this on ebay.

nick k

Reaction score
Should that lead me to consider another blank instead? Something not appealing about a blank that takes a tip top size that is all but non existent.

dean_mt

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that a 7wt rod could have a #3 tip top. That is really small! Hard to say, I do not want to accuse anyone of the anything, but it sounds "fishy" too me, and not the good "fishy"!

nick k

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe too. I want to email him again but I think he's getting pretty pissed at all my questions. His last email was all caps....

To be honest it's making me not want to buy the blanks.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Nick.
I've dealt with John an Englishman living in Florida however I'd check out Pacbay or one of The other retailers for tip sizes or buy The Blank first then chase The Tip.
The US system for Tip tops are usually in 1/64 inches ie a # 4 is usually 1/16 of an inch.
If a # 3 is 3 mm it would be around 1/8 of an inch which would be a big tip for a 7 Wt Fly Rod ??
Brian.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe too. I want to email him again but I think he's getting pretty pissed at all my questions. His last email was all caps....

To be honest it's making me not want to buy the blanks.
GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! :D

Kidding, but all caps email is pretty sure sign of somethings. ;)

williamhj

Reaction score
Brian, when you mention an Englishman living in Florida who sells blanks do you mean Brian Barnes at Ye Olde English Fly Shop? The John that Nick is talking about is with the Anglers Roost is in New York.

Nick, if the blank is on it's way, yeah just waiting and measuring it yourself might be the way to go. If you don't have one, grab a caliper from home depot etc, I got a digital one for about $20 that I use a lot with rod building. Otherwise, you could look elsewhere, for example Ye Olde English Fly shop, built two rods off his graphite blanks and like both of them. He has a 9' 8wt in blue on his site. Might have others in stock if you ask. He's a real easy guy to work with.

nick k

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't ordered anything yet so I think I'm actually gonna go with the mudhole MHX blanks. I checked online and they got some really good reviews. I guess they were based on winston blanks or something like that.

nick k

Reaction score
Yeah, I eventually built on Mudhole MHX blanks with size 4 tip top. Rod came out beautiful. Here are some pictures of it that I posted on another thread as well. My first rod.

nick k

Reaction score
Looks great Nick! I'm guessing your pretty much done for now like the rest of us. It looks like you got the bug pretty good :D. Welcome to the obsession.
Yup, just about. Already planning my next builds. If I end up enjoying spey casting, I'm probably going to build an 8wt for stripers and other saltwater use.

nick k

Reaction score
If you do, don't bother with a switch rod just go with a full length spey. A 8-9wt switch for the surf if a waste.
I don't like the idea of switch rods. When I wanted to get a spey for largemouth (which is what my 6wt is now for) most people told me to go switch because it is versatile and can do 2 handed and single handed casts well. I've never been a fan of what most people consider "versatility" or items that can be described as "jack of all trades."

In my opinion, versatility means that you do everything decent, and nothing well. I am the type of person that likes the two extremes, and will not be satisfied with the middle ground. If I am buying a rod to do 2 handed casts, I dont want a switch rod that CAN do them, but sacrifices some of that functionality in order to also accommodate single handed casts better. I have single handed rods for single handed casts. I'd rather have an item that excels in one aspect rather than being okay in several.

Obviously, this is just me though, and is not the case for everyone. I understand the appeal of switch rods, they are just very off putting to me.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of switch rods. When I wanted to get a spey for largemouth (which is what my 6wt is now for) most people told me to go switch because it is versatile and can do 2 handed and single handed casts well. I've never been a fan of what most people consider "versatility" or items that can be described as "jack of all trades."

In my opinion, versatility means that you do everything decent, and nothing well. I am the type of person that likes the two extremes, and will not be satisfied with the middle ground. If I am buying a rod to do 2 handed casts, I dont want a switch rod that CAN do them, but sacrifices some of that functionality in order to also accommodate single handed casts better. I have single handed rods for single handed casts. I'd rather have an item that excels in one aspect rather than being okay in several.

Obviously, this is just me though, and is not the case for everyone. I understand the appeal of switch rods, they are just very off putting to me.
Switch rods have their place, I have a 6wt switch and get good use out of it. When it comes to the surf all of your casting will be two handed, overhead casting. Using an 8-9wt switch with one hand is not practical so in that situation you might as well go spey and get the advantage of the extra length.

petee

Reaction score
Now that this tip top post has been completely hijacked I'll weigh in on switch rods in the surf. Granted I am a newbie to the whole switch rod thing, but I love my Sage "One" in the surf. 100' casts are the norm. Not that I ever need to cast that far for any other reason than its fun, but still 100' with no effort....I'll take it. However, I am not trying to 1) use it as a one handed caster with a traditional fly line or 2) using a spey style cast. I am using a T-11, 330 grain, 30' shooting head with running line. Water load it and let it fly. Screw the false casting. ;)

The same people who recommended that I not build a switch rod are now buying switch rods for themselves. Guess every rod has its place. Don't judge a switch until you try a switch. Taking what you read or what others say as gospel will make you a follower. Then you will never know if there is a better way for you.

Just my $.02

Pete

nick k

Reaction score
I'm not doubting that they have their place. They just don't appeal to me personally. My intention is to make 2 handed casts only, and for that purpose, a full spey is simply more well suited.