Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Single foot guides

What are the advantages/disadvantages to single foot guides over double foot or snake guides?

I would think that they would crush more easily and be less sturdy. Do people use them purely for looks or for an antique feel?

Default Re: Single foot guides

Some people like cutting their thread work in half - only one foot to wrap. Along with this some think it reduces the weight on the blank a meaningful amount, though that is tough for me to believe.

Personally I prefer snake aesthetically and practically. I find it easy to tape one foot securely and wrap the other rather than securing the top of the foot on the single foot guide till you get it wrapped enough to remove the tape/band and finish wrapping if that makes sense. Lots of people use them but I prefer snakes.
    - William

3. Likes Auntie Em liked this post

I agree with William. Fewer feet to wrap, but also fewer feet to secure the guide.

One easier method to holding either two footed or single footed guides while beginning your wraps ... orthodontic elastics! Make friends with your local orthodontist, or a kid who wears braces, and set in a supply of elastics! They hold the guide perfectly in place while you wrap, and are easily removed by a flick of the ol' exacto knife. You'll wonder why you used masking tape for so long!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    I agree with William. Fewer feet to wrap, but also fewer feet to secure the guide.

One easier method to holding either two footed or single footed guides while beginning your wraps ... orthodontic elastics! Make friends with your local orthodontist, or a kid who wears braces, and set in a supply of elastics! They hold the guide perfectly in place while you wrap, and are easily removed by a flick of the ol' exacto knife. You'll wonder why you used masking tape for so long!!
    I got a lil bag of those elastics years ago, in flourescent colors. The are great for thread spools as well.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.