Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF Happened to My Wraps?

Default Re: WTF Happened to My Wraps?

What's the best way to remove the epoxy without ruining the blank? I plan on using a heat gun to soften the epoxy, but I'm not sure how it will affect the thread and the blank. Do I just get it soft and then wipe down to the exposed threads, cut the thread and remove and then continue or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
    What's the best way to remove the epoxy without ruining the blank? I plan on using a heat gun to soften the epoxy, but I'm not sure how it will affect the thread and the blank. Do I just get it soft and then wipe down to the exposed threads, cut the thread and remove and then continue or something else?
    Will you be wrapping back over the area again? If yes then carefully cut along the guide foot with a razor blade and peel off the guide. After that you should be able to find the loose end of the thread and unravel it. The epoxy will pop off as you unravel the thread. There's no way to get a blank completely clean without sanding a refinishing.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

There's no way to get a blank completely clean without sanding a refinishing.
    Since I'll be putting the guide back on, should I sand it down or just get it as clean as possible?

I'd worry about sanding it. Could be easy to sand too far or leave a rough surface that makes wrapping tough. I successfully used citri-strip on a blank but don't know that I'd do it for only one guide. Better to get as much as you can off unwrapping the thread then use your fingernail or something similar to slowly get the residue off. Can use a hairdryer too. I use it on low and don't let it blow hard on the blank, just warm the epoxy a bit and try to get it off, then repeat. Slow but better than wrecking a blank.
    - William

5. Likes imxer liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    I'd worry about sanding it. Could be easy to sand too far or leave a rough surface that makes wrapping tough. I successfully used citri-strip on a blank but don't know that I'd do it for only one guide. Better to get as much as you can off unwrapping the thread then use your fingernail or something similar to slowly get the residue off. Can use a hairdryer too. I use it on low and don't let it blow hard on the blank, just warm the epoxy a bit and try to get it off, then repeat. Slow but better than wrecking a blank.
    ^ What he said. If your careful unraveling the thread most of the epoxy will come off and you can just wrap new thread right back on.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12