Websites for buying building materials

nrp5087

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to get into building my own rods with my dad and was wondering where you guys buy all your stuff? I want to build a Spey Rod I was looking at the Baston Blanks but how do you know what all will fit the graphite as far as reel seat cork and so forth?

Thanks

williamhj

Reaction score
Go to batson's site and under technical forum they have pdfs for suggested components for their blanks. You can buy all the stuff listed or use it as a guide for customizing the rod.

J stockard is a good site as is utmost enterprises (discount on batson stuff), others include acid rod, mudhole custom tackle, cabelas has some, bingham enterprises, golden witch and ye older English fly shop. Love getting reel seats from David Winslow rods and decals from Charlie at tight lines custom rods. Those are some places I like.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I get the majority of my stuff from Hook & Hackle. They've been very good to me over the years.
Sometimes you can find some real bargains at Schnieder's Custom Rods .

tedp

Reaction score
If you are looking for Batson blanks or components, check out Utmost Enterprises. Excellent prices (and discounts), clearance and minimal waiting on out of stock items. I don't have any association with them but Carol will set you right.

nrp5087

Reaction score
I ordered the Baston 13' 7 Wt spey blank but Im not sure how to decide what size/ how many eyelets I need any suggestions?

williamhj

Reaction score
Did you check batsons technical forum? They have the info for bot rx6 and rx7 13' 7wt spey blanks. They include suggestions for all components including guide sizes and spacing.

petee

Reaction score
Ditto the Lemke seats at Southwest Custom Rods. Southwest Customs carries .740" and .812" Lemke Seats for spey/ switch rods. I have purchased several. Ron is more than helpful. Plus he will custom make a beautiful insert for the hardware.

Acid Rods is also another supplier with a good selection of components.

Snake Brand Guides produces the Snake Brand Universal Guides they are the best on the market. With their concave feet they fit the radius of the blank, making wrapping the guides a breeze. More expensive than other guides, but there is no foot prep. They are ready to go out of the box and are worth the extra $$$.

As for your other questions: Cork handles come with a 1/4" hole in them. You will have to ream the cork to get it to fit the outside diameter of the blank (OD) no matter what. Most manufacturers will have the OD of the blank's butt listed. Then you can buy a seat with the inside diameter (ID) close to that. You will probably have to build up the butt with tape arbors no matter what.

Post your rod specs and you will get more advice about components than you ever wanted :rolleyes: Check out your local fly fishing clubs. Many offer rod building classes for a very reasonable price. Really knocks down the learning curve.

See if your blank is listed here: http://www.batsonenterprises.com/Guide-Space2.htm May be an old chart.

Sorry for the long post, I get a bit excited about rod building ;)

Happy building,
Pete