Beginning My First Build

nrp5087

Reaction score
So far I have purchased the Blank, Reel Seat, Thread, Butt Grip, and Cork Rings for the for Grip of my Spey Rod (13' 7 Wt). What Else will I need as far as rod pieces (not adhesive and such)? Im not sure the number of guides or the sizes needed for a rod this size. Should I contact Baston about this or can you guys help me? Its a Baston Rainshadow Spey blank.

williamhj

Reaction score
I posted on your other thread. Check batsons site they'll give you guide sizes and spacing on the technical forum

williamhj

Reaction score
Under the column guide, the number at the end of the long unintelligible string of numbers and letters is the size they recommend.

nrp5087

Reaction score
So they have the sizes for their guides but what if I want to get my guides from another site like J Stockard. It looks like all the guides there have a different sizing scale even though they are made by Batson.:doh:

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

I think I got it these are the last 3 guides on that sheet ( JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Batson Enterprises ALPS LXN Stripping Guide) and these are the smaller snake guides ( JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: J. Stockard Snake Guide ). Please correct me if these will not work in your opinion.

I really appreciate you guys dealing with my incompetence in this subject

williamhj

Reaction score
Yup you got it. Snakes from the first guide below the tip down with the last ones the stripping guides. Personally I'd buy snake brand snake guide, using batsons size recommentation. The feet are easier to wrap. I'd guess you'd be fine with their recommended components through I'm sure builders would tweek it here and there.

nrp5087

Reaction score
So I have everything ordered as far as components for the rod. Won't be able to build it for atleast 3-5 weeks but I will update it when I get to work!

Until then what are some tools that are absolutely necessary for the project? I was thinking the reamers would be a huge help but other than that? Like a drying motor and that kind of stuff is is really needed?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
You'll need some sort of supports to hold the blank as you wrap the thread.
- Masking tape
- Scissors
- Razor blade or Exacto Knife
- A good single malt scotch helps, but not required.

nick k

Reaction score
Check this link out for guides. Its the guide kits section of Mudhole. They sell guide kits broken down by rod length and line weight, with a special kit just for spey/switch.

I just built a spey rod with these guides.