Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10' 4wt Quickline

Default 10' 4wt Quickline

Posted my recent 3wt last night and thought I'd pop up some pictures of the rod I finished last week. The components were a Father's Day gift, I guess I must have done something right this year Haven't had it on the water yet, but I am looking forward to it.

It is a black 4 piece 10' 4wt Quickline blank from Utmost Enterprises. I used black nickel Snake Brand guides (love them!) from Proof Fly Fishing and tried Snake Brand's new stripping guides. The stripping guides look great and match the finish perfectly but, unlike the snakes, do require some prep. Wrapped it with Bullard's black silk thread without CP and used their Granite poly metallic for trim. The grip is cork from Proof with some colored rings on each end. I started with a full wells and tapered down the rear to meet the reel seat. I like the feel of it. Black winding check and hook keeper from Ye Old English Fly Shop. The black reel seat is from Dave Winslow with an Ebony wood insert and fighting butt which he turned for me. I love the colors on the insert.

I picked up a black Battenkill reel while they were on sale and loaded a DT5F line that I had laying around so I could test cast it a bit. I have a Rio Grand WF4F line on its way.

Thanks for looking.
    - William

2. Likes mcnerney, Liphookedau, dean_mt, N/A, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 10' 4wt Quickline

William: Great looking rod, congrats! Now get out there and give that new rod a good workout.

Larry
    Larry

4. Likes williamhj liked this post

A very nice looking Rod the Grip has a nice shape to it.
    in the past I've bought Guides from Brian @ The Olde English Fly Shop in Florida & A Reel Seat From Dave Winslow which I'm yet to use plus heaps of Cork Ring from Portugal.
    Brian

6. Likes williamhj liked this post

Thanks Larry and Brian. After buying stock seats I have loved Dave's and the price is great and have been happy with everything I've gotten from Brian. Can't wait to get a bend in the rod
    - William

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Looks great William, nice finish, what is it?. I am planning on using the black Snakes on my next rod...but they aren't black black are they? Does Proof sell the strippers? I already got my cork from him.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Looks great William, nice finish, what is it?. I am planning on using the black Snakes on my next rod...but they aren't black black are they? Does Proof sell the strippers? I already got my cork from him.
    Sorry for the delay they aren't black black but a nice dark nickel finish. You can get the strippers from Proof fly fishing. If they aren't listed just send Matt an email.
    - William

Nice job! I recently completed a 9' 5wt quickline rod; it is very light and quick.
    For what its worth, I put a lightweight Orvis BBS III on it and found that it seemed to cast better by overlining it with a 6wt Rio Gold line.
    Also, i am in the process of shaping up a handle for a new rod and was interested to note that its shape will be very similar to yours. It seems to be a full wells shape with the back sanded down. Great minds must run in the same channel!
    barham

12. Likes williamhj liked this post
    mridenour Guest

That is a beauty! I hope it fishes as good as it looks. You have a wonderful rod there!

14. Likes williamhj liked this post

Thanks for the nice words. Hope to get it out in the next couple weeks
    - William

Blog Entries

What a fine set up that is William! I'm sure you'll enjoy that for many years to come.

You did a beautiful job,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

17. Likes williamhj liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast