Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default IM6 vs UHM12 blanks

What are the differences here, and are they substantial? UHM blanks are significantly more expensive, but does this mean that IM6 are becoming obsolete or that they do not make for quality rods? Are any high end rods made from IM6?

I want to know if its worth putting expensive components on IM6 blanks or if they would be better utilized on newer tech.

Default Re: IM6 vs UHM12 blanks

As I understand it, IM6 or RX6 are designations used to describe lower modulus blanks. As technology has advanced the modulus numbers have increased so you see IM7, RX7, IM8, RX8 etc... Doesn't mean higher modulus rods are better. It just means the modulus numbers are higher equating to "faster" rods.

I personally like RX6 & IM6 blanks and see no reason not to use quality components on them. They tend to be more moderate actions and being a lower modulus they aren't as prone to breaking due to nicks and bruises. Just remember they aren't going to be as fast, responsive, quicker recovering or whatever phrase we are using to describe rods today. Take an RX6 and RX7 rolled at the same taper and the RX7 will probably be lighter, "faster" and prissy (when it comes to breakage) .

That's IM6 & RX6 in a nut shell, as my pea brain sees it.

Side note: Yes, I know that using "fast" in this context tends to gets some folks panties in a bunch. But fast, slow and moderate are layman's terms commonly use to describe rod actions so I choose to use em.
    "Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

I think Winston still uses IM6 for some of their series of rods. Nothing wrong with IM6, but not all blanks are created equal.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I think Winston still uses IM6 for some of their series of rods. Nothing wrong with IM6, but not all blanks are created equal.
    Indeed, the quality of a rod is in its taper and quality control as well as its technology.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

5. Default Re: IM6 vs UHM12 blanks

Hi fellas

My first post across the pond. This is a good articles about fibres and modulus:

Fishing Rod Blank manufacture

regards

Vince

6. Likes nick k liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by vgb View Post
    Hi fellas

My first post across the pond. This is a good articles about fibres and modulus:

Fishing Rod Blank manufacture

regards

Vince
    Great read. Thanks.