Need help finding a reel seat

random user

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a reel seat and hardware for a wide footed, old skeleton reel?

I don't want to file down the reel feet and/or contort them to fit a modern reel seat.

Thanks much.

L

Liphookedau

You might have to go with a Seat made for Spinning Rods which all The Hardware manufactures make also if you post The sizes someone here might be able to help.
Brian.

williamhj

Reaction score
Look up Rick's Rods here in Denver, I know he sells wrapping thread that is tough to find and he might do the same with reel seats. Might contact Dave Winslow too. I'm not sure if he could turn one for you but he's very helpful and I've gotten great seats from him.

swcr

Reaction score
How wide is the foot on reel you are talking about, also how high is it off the side flats to the peak?

random user

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure which reel I will end up using, sort of depends on what I find for a rod, and I am looking for something weird. Hoping to be bale to find some no-name, unlabled bamboo broken pieces and put togeather a 5' - 6' 5-weight or so. Should be a horror show for a traditional fore/aft cast.

Anyhow,
Reel 1:
Foot Length: 62.5 mm (2 7/16 -ish)
Foot Width: 14.75 mm (5/8 -ish)
Rise: 3.25 mm (1/8 -ish)

Reel 2:
Foot Length: 63.5 mm (2 1/2 -ish)
Foot Width: 13.00 mm (1/2 -ish)
Rise: 3.00 mm (1/8 -ish)

swcr

Reaction score
None of my skeletons will spec out like that. You may have to end up going to a double slide band style seat on that.

petee

Reaction score
I'm with Ron on this one. A double sliding band with a mortised insert may fit your bill. It would be a fairly easy machining job, especially if you went with aluminum. You could go with an older double band seat off an old spinning rod set up and no mortise. But, it might make for a larger diameter seat than you would like for the rod.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
"Harvest" a reel seat off another rod.
Old South Bend glass rods were **** but had beautiful nickle silver reel seats. Ripe for the harvest
I'm sure that you could find something like that to your liking if you're patient.

random user

Reaction score
RipTide,

Copy/paste is a very good thing. I have a text doc I am using to avoid re-re-redundantly re-typing.

There are a lot of really cool bits&pieces in the scratch and dent sections of auction sites.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I urge you not to try to plan on building a rod to match your skeleton reel.
Those reels are as cheap as they look. There's not a single one that you should expect to last under normal conditions.

Personally I 'recycle" all kinds of rod components.
That nickle silver reel seat that I used to refurbish one of my cane rods was one that I've had packed away for 30 years and originally got out of a dumpster.
It's a life long project..