Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Trim Wraps - best method?

Default Trim Wraps - best method?

I want to do trim wraps on my current build, and have been looking for instructions, but there are so many different ways to do it. I just want to do a simple look, with 5 or so wraps of one color at the front, then the rest of a second color up to the tie off.

Does anyone know a link or something that they feel is the easiest way to handle this type of tie?

Default Re: Trim Wraps - best method?

I've done it like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMPSo-DupI4]Rod Building 101 - Trim Bands - YouTube[/ame]
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

I gave that one a shot yesterday. Worked pretty well, and fairly easy, but I had a few times where the thread overlapped after I slid it off the tube.

Another very simple method is to do your trim wraps just like you do the main wraps. Only before you start, tape your pull loop to the blank. Start your trim wrap the exact same way you do the main wrap. When you get the number of turns you want for the trim band cut the thread and pull it thru will your pull loop. Then it's just a matter of trimming off the tag ends.

The other method you tried is basically a nail know which works great, except, as you found out, for the occasional thread overlap. But the same thing happens to me everytime I do a nail knot.

Just like your main wraps make sure you have the pull loop pointing in the right direction

Pete
    "Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

5. Likes williamhj, nick k liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by petee View Post
    Another very simple method is to do your trim wraps just like you do the main wraps. Only before you start, tape your pull loop to the blank. Start your trim wrap the exact same way you do the main wrap. When you get the number of turns you want for the trim band cut the thread and pull it thru will your pull loop. Then it's just a matter of trimming off the tag ends.
    I have done it this way and with less than 5 wraps. If you are going to use CP on the wraps apply the CP once you've finished the wraps and before you trim the tag ends. Make sure the tags don't get stuck to the wraps as it dries! Doing this helps lock the trim wrap in place before you start cutting things If you're not using CP just be careful!
    - William

Thanks for all the help guys. Great suggestions.