Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Default Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Good evening,

I am looking for an affordable reel seat + insert (to use with an inletted grip) that would fit a 9' blank with a 0.345 butt.
    The Pac Bay UL3 is affordable and has an insert bore size of 0.370, so it should accommodate the blank, but it seems a bit tight...?
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks

Default Re: Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Check out Dave Winslow Rods. He turns very nice inserts and has a few hardware options. I've email or call him and let him know what you're looking for. His reel seats and inserts are beautiful and his web-page is very user-friendly. Run $25-35. I used cheaper seats on earlier rods but realized another $10 - $15 for a unique insert is well worth it to me.

I'll add that seat would probably work just fine. Tight isn't bad and if a seat is too tight you can use a drill bits to ream it out a touch.
    - William

Default Re: Affordable uplocking reel seat and insert for inletted grip, blank butt 0.345

Quote Originally Posted by mawhrin_skel View Post
    Good evening,

I am looking for an affordable reel seat + insert (to use with an inletted grip) that would fit a 9' blank with a 0.345 butt.
    The Pac Bay UL3 is affordable and has an insert bore size of 0.370, so it should accommodate the blank, but it seems a bit tight...?
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks
    The closer to the bore the butt is, the less tape you have to use as an arbor. In other words, it's a good thing when your butt diameter is close to, but a bit less than, the reel seat bore. Be happy.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

4. Likes dean_mt liked this post

What is affordable for your budget? Asking because when I buy the Lemke Titanium hardware, for my saltwater speys and switch rods, at $70 bucks a pop $35 to $40 is affordable. Plus when the addiction is raging its all affordable .

Ron @ Southwest Custom Rods also turns inserts for the Lemke hardware. So I'm sure he would bore one out to need your specs. Besides I like to generate extra labor for Ron. Keeps him out of mischief.

As a side note too loose is not really an issue. Tape arbors or drywall mesh works very well. Too snug can squeege off the epoxy making for a weaker joint. Not that a reel seat sees a ton of stress

Pete
    "Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Hi
    Thanks for ur answers. It turns out I can get the U3 + insert for $12 thanks to a voucher I have. Since the insert bore size shouldnt be a problem, I ll go for it.
    I am on a -tight- budget, or else I d go for a customized one, for sure