Switch rod building for a Noob.

runningfish

Reaction score
I am entertaining an idea to learn to build a switch rod in this case 3/4 weight 11'6". I already checked some blanks from Meiser, Sage, etc you know, the familiar names. However, I encountered Batson blanks.

Can anyone give me some inputs about their blanks and components? How they are compared to the other brands, are they as good as they sound in their catalogs? What is their RX7 switch blank similar to?

I recently tried the Sage One Switch rod 5wt 11'6", I liked the rod action but not the price. So, what I am trying to achieve is to look for other blanks in 3/4 weight that close/similar to Sage One switch rod blank action and build a switch rod as light as possible in the overall weight. Sage One blank alone is close to $500 still too expensive for me.

About the guides, I heard about Fuji guides, pac bay, and Ticr but I only know their names and I don't know how they compare among them.

I am going to limit this thread questions to the blanks and the guides, I'll ask more questions about the other stuffs later.

Then again, I might just quit all together if I think it is too much of a headache to make one.
Thank you

tyler_durden

Reaction score
I don't know anyone who fishes their lightest weight blank (I thought it was a 5wt) but know of several people who really like the 7 and 8 wt switches. A google search might reveal more opinions. I believe Batson rates their rods according to a single hand rating, so their 7 wt switch would theoretically cast the same lines as a 7 wt single hand rod.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

dean_mt

Reaction score
If it is your first foray into building a rod, I recommend you get a nice inexpensive blank. Starting out with an 11 and a half foot rod with a two-hand grip will be a lot of work for you. You can do it, but don't do it to a high end blank, you can't do it justice the first time around.

I actually bought an 11' 3/4 weight blank on ebay last winter because I was building a different rod and wanted to just keep going and it was only like $25! I didn't get to it and it's still in my corner, but I intend to build it up next month I hope. It's just a lot of guides, a lot of cork, a lot of thread and finishing, so even though I feel comfortable with my meager building skills, I am going cheap on this first switch rod and if I like it I'll look for a better blank.

runningfish

Reaction score
That is what I am trying to do, to find a nice and inexpensive blank for the switch rod.
I want to build the rod that I am planning to use even if it will take me the whole year to build it.

I have a 1/2 section of a spinning rod that I use to spool my line that I can use as a crash test dummy for threading the guides.

by the way, are the blanks come with the ferrules already attached to the individual pieces?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yes, all graphite rod blanks will have ferrules.

I have never used a Batson blank but they have a reputation. I know some other guys here have built on them, I am pretty sure William has and he'll see this thread and chime in soon.

As for components, again I would recommend staying in line with the quality of the blank. I mean there isn't much point in putting $3 REC guides on this rod, unless the budget is not an issue, then go for it. Otherwise you can make a solid working-man's rod with budget parts.

The difference between guides from different manufacturers, the only big noticeable difference will be in the amount of prep necessary to the feet. You have to file them down to make a smooth thread transition from the blank up the foot. REC recoil and Snake Universals are top end snake guides that need zero to very little foot prep. But they are $3 a pop. AmTac, Pac Bay, Batson...all of these snake guides will be similar in that they will need some prep to varying degees, but will all be perfectly functional. Fuji is a popular maker of stripping and casting guides. There are many many options.

Reel seats are functional but also a big personal aesthetic item. Look around, again, many many options.

You could easily get everything you need straight from Batson and there would be nothing wrong with that for your first rod. It is really easy to get bogged down and/or overwhelmed with the choices of components. When it does come time, after you have a good idea of what you want, I suggest calling which ever retailer you are buying from to make the order just to be certain that the reel seat you think you want will fit the blank, that the grips you are buying (if you are buying preshaped) are appropriate. My experience is that the person on the other end of the website of these rod component sites know a heckuva lot about the stuff and are very willing to help.

A few sites I really like:
Fly Rod Parts
Rod Building - Angler's Workshop from Angler's Workshop. The Leaders in Rod Building, Fly Tying, Rod Blanks, Reels, Fly Fishing, and much more!
Dan Craft Enterprises - Guides, Rods and More

Dan Craft is actually not a great site, but he has or will get just about anything, give him a call.

Good luck!

runningfish

Reaction score
The links are very helpful, and I found out that Batson doesn't have 3 or 4 weight switch blanks although their blanks are economically priced. I will check on the TFO and others.

Regarding the cork, I learned something just by visiting Meiser's website. He recommended 1 inch of upper handle for every 1ft of rod length. I am contacting the Beulah for their lower and upper cork design, I hope they have them preshaped. I really love their handles but blank wise, I think they have very small grain window.

I will sit down and jot down some numbers and see how much is this project going to be.

tyler_durden

Reaction score
Since Batson rates their switches according to single hand ratings, their 5wt or even 6wt switch might be equivalent to other manufacturers 3-4 wt models.

runningfish

Reaction score
Since Batson rates their switches according to single hand ratings, their 5wt or even 6wt switch might be equivalent to other manufacturers 3-4 wt models.

That makes sense, I think the best way for me to find out is to contact them directly.

runningfish

Reaction score
I don't know anyone who fishes their lightest weight blank (I thought it was a 5wt) but know of several people who really like the 7 and 8 wt switches. A google search might reveal more opinions. I believe Batson rates their rods according to a single hand rating, so their 7 wt switch would theoretically cast the same lines as a 7 wt single hand rod.

I just called them and the Batson guy told me that their 5wt switch rod blank is rated for 140-280 Grain. That is almost like a 3/4 weight grain window.
Hmmm, this could be a match in heaven.

runningfish

Reaction score
Nice man, I like the handle. I am not much of a handyman and I don't have much tools nor machinery to make my own. Although I really like the Beulah Classic handle. So, I have to go with the preformed handles. Where did you get the skeleton grey reel seat from? That is pretty retro.

I am still in the planning process and learning different techniques and components. Planning to build the 5wt since it is like a 3wt switch with a Batson blank, but lately I am interested in getting the 3/4 10'6" Meiser's blank which I heard was the same as the Beulah classic 4/5 10'6" blank.

Anyway, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

badfish creek

Reaction score
That is a Lemke reel seat. I was able to get a raw aluminum seat and I anodized it black and red myself to match my wraps. You can easily build yourself a cork lathe using a power drill.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I just called them and the Batson guy told me that their 5wt switch rod blank is rated for 140-280 Grain. That is almost like a 3/4 weight grain window.
Hmmm, this could be a match in heaven.
Good call on Batson rating their rods (or should that be blank design) in a 1hander line rating. Have a Meiz 3/4/5 (12.5 feet so its no switch) and lined as a 'three' (Steve G. line) at 280 grains. As a 'five' you could have as much as 400!

Lined as a 'three' this thing will just bang out line for summer run or trout fishing.

runningfish

Reaction score
That is a Lemke reel seat. I was able to get a raw aluminum seat and I anodized it black and red myself to match my wraps. You can easily build yourself a cork lathe using a power drill.
I can assure you that I'll make the cork handle into a coke bottle shape if I were going to shape it myself. Yes, I am that bad with tools.

Speaking of the tools, need to ask for some suggestions on a beginner building kit. I see Mudhole is selling one for $70 complete with the bench. Any recommendations? and what kind of thread that I should be using?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Good call on Batson rating their rods (or should that be blank design) in a 1hander line rating. Have a Meiz 3/4/5 (12.5 feet so its no switch) and lined as a 'three' (Steve G. line) at 280 grains. As a 'five' you could have as much as 400!

Lined as a 'three' this thing will just bang out line for summer run or trout fishing.
I consulted with Steve and he told me that Batson 5wt 10'8" blank was for 250grain. I am also thinking about getting the 4/5 11ft Meiser blank 300-450 grain. It is $60 more than the Batson and probably worth the extra money.
I am thinking, I am thinking, I am sinking.