Spey rod building

sidt87

Reaction score
Hello,

I decided that I wanted to start building my own spey rods but have little to no clue on doing it. I have a few questions and hoping that you guys don't mind giving me some input.

First I was wondering what size reel seats are recommended for spey rods? I see that they have an "o.d." And a "i.d." measurement and have no idea what that stands for. Outside diameter and inside diameter? I'd like a nickle silver reel seat with a wood insert.

Second, I want to add as little weight as I can so any recommendations on light weight guides besides the rec recoils? (Don't really want recoils) And what are the usual sizings for the stripper guides on a spey rod?

I think this is all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll have more when I actually start building it and especially on turning cork handles. Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I know that John, (fyshstykr) is working at one now and has made one or 2 in the past. He isn't posting much but if you send him a PM he'll probably help you out a bit.

Ard

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Add my welcome to Ard's.

But just a thought, unless you have built rods before, a 2hander is not where you want to start. But there are 'options.' Bob Meiser sells 'kits' that have all the 'nuts and bolts' to do your own.

The handle is the hard part unless you have a lath to sand down the cork to your hand spec's.

fae

Last edited:

petee

Reaction score
Reel seat: Yep, you have the OD & ID correct. Depending on the od of your blank's butt section will depend on how big the ID of your reel seat insert will need to be bored out. I typically use Lemke hardware so I'll speak on his hardware. Depending on the OD of your butt section you would typically want either his LC 25 or LC26.

The LC26 is big hardware and you would probably need to go with an oversized ring or two on the end of the handle. The OD listed on the hardware is for the hood diameter and it tells you how big you need the cork to be inletted so it will cover the hood.

Here are a couple examples of some LC25 hardware. If you look at the upper end of the seat you'll see where the cork is over the hood. In order to do that the cork needs to be inletted to the proper diameter to cover the hood without having too much play around the hood.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/342314-winston-126-6wt-spey.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/330526-sage-tcx-6119-4-switch.html

For blanks (especially fiberglass and big speys) with a really big OD you might have to go with something as big as the LC26 so you can bore the insert out large enough to still have enough meat on the insert. Really big seats might require oversized cork. That way there is enough meat to cover the hood when the handle is shaped.

Strippers: What size Spey are you building? Typically I have used size 16 and 12 strippers for my 7 weight and below Speys. I'll have to verify that tonight, but off the top of my head I'll stick with those numbers.

Guides: I only use Snake Brand Universals on my round rods and their standard guides on my bamboo builds.

Sorry, I only use Lemke hardware so I am out of touch with other manufacturer's hardware and dimensions. Feel free to PM me with any build questions so I don't hog your post.
Happy wrapping,
Pete

Last edited:

coug

Reaction score
I agree with Fred, might want to consider some type of kit. That way you do not need to worry about components fitting together, etc. The Meiser kits are the top of the line.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I agree with Fred, might want to consider some type of kit. That way you do not need to worry about components fitting together, etc. The Meiser kits are the top of the line.
All be it waaaay back in the day rod blank in my lap with a 'chop stick' through the tread spool. Knees for proper tension. Old cat sitting on the back of the chair looking over my shoulder. That Cat cut you no slack if you got it wrong.
fae

sidt87

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes. I see a few familiar speypages users on here which is nice to know! :D

This will be my first time ever building a rod so I do plan on building my first spey rod with a meiser kit or possibly a burkie "kit" but would like a little better understanding, as far as sizing and components goes, for future builds when I start venturing on my own. I currently have an alps power wrapper with the upgraded chuck on order and hoping that this will help me with turning corks. I'm hoping that it was a good investment cause I'm kind of kicking myself for spending that much money on something I'm unfamiliar with :confused:

Thank you all for the responses so far. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more when the building actually happens. And I'm hoping this goes well since I'm selling my meiser to fund for these projects (fiancée kind of cornered me....).

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

Nice builds btw Petee!!! Hoping that someday I can get my rods to look like that! And hog all you want! I don't mind :D