New rod blank

williamhj

Reaction score
A friend of mine just launched a kickstarter campaign and I got the 'o.k.' to link it here.

He's developing a line of rod blanks and is looking to launch the 9' 5wt as the first in the line. I've been talking to him as he's worked with a rod designer on the blank and look forward to getting one in hand this June if the kickstarter gets funded. Thought I'd post it in case anyone is interested in checking out a new line of blanks and/or supporting a small business trying to get going. Thanks!

eastfly66

Reaction score
WJ,

I tried to "ask a question" - the tab does not work?

It sounds good and I am interested in giving the blank a shot. I see an ERN of 4.3 , that seems a bit light for a 5 wt. ?

When are the blanks avail. ? I am building a 5 wt. for spring ?

web page is not responding , I'll try later after the geek squad comes !

mdraft1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the question. I just checked the Q&A feature on the kickstarter it worked fine for me a few min. ago. Perhaps try refreshing your browser. Its a good question about the ERN and I would like to answer it on the site.

The ERN is only one factor in determining how (and what line the rod casts). The rod is on the upper end of medium. If you check out the video, the rod is casting an SA 5wt. trout taper. Loads up beautifully and with the advanced construction the rod is not the least bit overloaded despite a lower ERN.

Hope this helps. :)

williamhj

Reaction score
Maybe it was an issue with the site but the question button worked this a.m. Hopefully you can get your question answered.

I figure it will make the moderate/fast rod a bit more moderate with a 5wt line on, which is fine for me. Also it will still load at short distances where I do a lot of nymph fishing. I check blanks with the CCS but find I need to get a line on the rod to really know how it will fish. Sometimes found a rod fishes better for me a line size up or down from stated by the manufacturer or even the CCS.

And the reply comes while I'm typing...

Last edited:

rockthief

Reaction score
there are sufficient fast, ultra fast, really fast, super fast, and just plain fast rods on the market so it is nice to see graphite in a more moderate version. I fish mostly fiberglass but enjoy fishing with several graphite rods also including Sage and Powell.

Paul

mdraft1

Reaction score
Thanks Paul. I totally agree. The blank loads up silky smooth so you can actually feel the line, which given how fast rods have become feels pretty great.

Last edited:

petee

Reaction score
Matt,
Sounds like you have given this blank plenty of thought. I am looking forward to building on an Aurora I blank. We, builders, need a moderate action rod rolled in a neutral color. Gives us more build options for customers ;)

Soft tip with some backbone in the lower section:thumbsupu. Trying to figure out your chart. If it was a bamboo stress chart I would say there might be a built in hinge for roll casting. But, I don't even know bamboo stress curves well enough to translate them over to graphite. I just know what curves I like, in bamboo, and yours kind of looks like them.

Pete