Refurb an old rod?

mikel

Reaction score
I'm so ill informed I don't even know how to ask this question...but here goes :)

I'm receiving a well used 6100 RPL and plan to use it forever as my go to light steelhead rod. I assume I can find a builder to fix it up for me to look near new, but have no idea what the cost might be...

Assuming the blank is sound and cork/reel seat are as well, is there a ballpark that I'm looking at for a general restoration?

If I'm asking the wrong question, please let me know.

Thanks, Mike

petee

Reaction score
If the cork and seat don't have to be replaced you are looking at somewhere around $15 dollars a guide and ferrule wrap. The reason I quote $15 is because, for a builder, it is actually more of a pain to strip and re-wrap a rod than it is to build a new one. The old components need to be to stripped off all the old finish without damaging the blank so you're looking at more work.

I could give you a better quote if you could post some pictures.

Is it cost effective? All depends on how attached you are to the rod. I have re-finished bamoo rods that might be worth $10 on e-bay, but the customer was very attached to the rod, so they are happy to pay what they did.

Pete

J

james w 3 3

If the cork and seat don't have to be replaced you are looking at somewhere around $15 dollars a guide and ferrule wrap. The reason I quote $15 is because, for a builder, it is actually more of a pain to strip and re-wrap a rod than it is to build a new one. The old components need to be to stripped off all the old finish without damaging the blank so you're looking at more work.

I could give you a better quote if you could post some pictures.

Is it cost effective? All depends on how attached you are to the rod. I have re-finished bamoo rods that might be worth $10 on e-bay, but the customer was very attached to the rod, so they are happy to pay what they did.

Pete
That's a very fair price.
I did a re-wrap ONCE. The stripping was a horrible, messy, time consuming job.
Trying to speed it up with a razor blade was stupid, as my doctor (also a fly fisher) told me with every single stitch he put in.
Your phrase "I plan to use it forever" says it all. Do it.

mikel

Reaction score
Pete...thanks for the help. I see your work posted and love the look of the rods you produce. Your info was exactly what I needed, just to get started.

Jw 3 3...I'm sure I'll have the rod forever. Some come and some go, but an RPL like this has been on my wish list...

Mike

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Only had to have a rod 'refurbished' once (a 2hander and the guides/thread had given it up) and called Sage up on Bainbridge Island.

'How old is the rod?'

'Its the fourth one you ever built.' (Seriously, it was sent to me from the factory.)

'May I get your phone number and have someone call you back?' Gave him my number, same one I've had since the birth of cell phones (remember The Brick?) Only thing that's changed is the area code, well the phones a heck of a lot smaller now, but in my pocket as I type.

Call back and 'PLEASE send it in, the lady who probably built the rod still lives here on the island.' A light sanding on the cork, the rest of the rod back was 'NIB' when I got it back. Sitting across from me as I type.

fae

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what my buddy gets at his shop. 15 bucks a guide.

Yesterday I stripped and re-wrapped all the guides on the tip section of a 2 piece, 8 foot fiberglass rod. It took just a couple of hours.
Today I'll put some finish on those wraps and touch up the rest of the rod. That will take no time at all.
No more than three hours time all together and I should have an "as new" rod, all ready to fish tomorrow. :grin:

I'm also working on a 7'6" , 2/2 vintage bamboo rod. I stripped all the old varnish, re-wrapped one guide and now it's getting fresh varnish
I've been working on that one for months :rolleyes:
But I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and if I get my act together that one shouldn't take much longer.
I've got another cane rod that I started to refurbish years ago. Might be years more at this rate. :eek: