Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Building on spline vs straightest line?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,608

    Default Building on spline vs straightest line?

    I'm getting going on a nice little classic Loomis IMX that I am excited about. I was a bit disappointed to look down the bottom section and find a noticeable curve. The spline is 90 degrees to the curve. I don't know what to do.

    It seems like building on the concave side of the bend not the spline would be best. Am I wrong? Why?

    Thanks.

    ...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Central Coast of Calif
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: Building on spline vs straightest line?

    My personal opinion: Build on the straightest axis. In other words build on the curve and nobody will be able to tell the difference. Sage and several other manufactures build their rods on the straightest axis and if its good enough for them it is probably good enough for us.

    If you build on the outside of the curve the hanging weight of the blank wants to straighten the blank. So when you are sighting down the blank it appears straight. Think back to when you grab a rod off the shelf what's the first thing you do after you wiggle test it? Yep, you sight down the rod to see if 1) the guides are aligned and 2) how straight the blank is. Its about perception, if you are going to pay good money for a rod do you want to see a curve in it? No. And since most of us aren't certified master casters the manufacturers are going to build where the rod looks the best.

    I have always said hand a rod to fly fishermen and 95% of them couldn't tell you if the rod was built on the spine, 180 off or the straightest axis. Of the remaining 5%, 4% are guessing and 1% actually know, but that 1% are your master casters who make casting a broom stick look good.

    If a customer has a specific request where they want the guides I will honor that, but usually I build on the spine.... unless the blank has a curve to it then I place the guides on the outside of the curve.

    Pete
    "Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

  3. Likes Auntie Em, rott21, mcnerney, imxer liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,608

    Default Re: Building on spline vs straightest line?

    Thanks Pete, that is was my general thought. I am certainly not close to master caster level and I doubt I will ever feel the difference.

    And yeah, the outside of the curve...I wasn't thinking straight when I said concave side (bad pun intended).

    fwiw: I have glued and bored the reel seat, have the cork rings glued up ready to turn, the snake guides are in the mail, and last night I put a coat of epoxy on some test wraps so I hope I can decide on colors and style. With each rod it gets easier to complete the prep steps...this one is going to be nice.

  5. Likes N/A, mcnerney liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    up state NY
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Building on spline vs straightest line?

    Like Petee said building on the straightest axes seems to be the best way to go,but if it's a new blank then send it back for another one! and tell em that you'll send that one back also if not straight. Also I have been having very good luck with Quickline blanks,all are straight, fast, and light.And seem to be the best bang for the buck. Tight lines

  7. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,608

    Default Re: Building on spline vs straightest line?

    Quote Originally Posted by rott21 View Post
    Like Petee said building on the straightest axes seems to be the best way to go,but if it's a new blank then send it back for another one! and tell em that you'll send that one back also if not straight. Also I have been having very good luck with Quickline blanks,all are straight, fast, and light.And seem to be the best bang for the buck. Tight lines
    Its an old blank so I can't get a replacement. Thanks though.

    ...

Similar Threads

  1. Spline on multi-piece rod
    By dabluz in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 03:00 AM
  4. Best Leader Building Line
    By bearfighter in forum Fly Lines
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM
  5. Spline
    By grousehunter49 in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •