Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Who wants to build a rod for me?

I posted in the "Wanted" section with no success, so I am trying again here. If inappropriate, moderators please remove.
    I am trying to find a builder preferably between Denver and Fort Collins, CO.
    Nothing fancy, just a "plane Jane" but on an expensive blank. I have the components. The handle I have needs to be modified.

Thanks,
    Alex

Blog Entries

Default Re: Who wants to build a rod for me?

There are some excellent builders here...you should find someone willing to do it

Here in the Denver area I'd talk to Kevin at Colorado Custom Fly Rods (in Littleton) or Dave Winslow at Winslow Rods (Golden). Both are great guys and build nice rods. Kevin can do some amazing thread work - if you look at his site you'll see he can reproduce military ribbons on the rod for a vet etc. Dave turns reel seat inserts and have a fantastic variety of woods to choose from. I've met Kevin and seen his rods which look very nice. I've only seen pictures of Dave's but I buy reel seats from him for rods I'm building, and he does a very nice job turning the inserts, which I take as a reflection on his attention to detail etc. Both are great to work with.
    - William

4. Likes fredaevans, weiliwen liked this post

Kevin has some health issues and he has to build a couple rods before mine; the soonest I could have it is in 3 months.
    I really wanna fish this rod this season...

Kevin builds a beautiful rod. Rods can not be produced overnight. Go with someone you can have face to face dealings with.

Do I dare say it? Many of us on this site are far too trusting of other people, and have been burned numerous times. It doesn't surprise me that few are speaking up/volunteering on this post. I'm still wearing scorch marks.
    Don't look back ... we ain't goin' that way!

Any local fly shop or even a general tackle shop will have 'a guy' or at least know 'a guy' that will do this.

My buddy does rod repairs for a large bait and tackle shop locally. He works on an average of 6 rods a week in his spare time. From single guides to complete rebuilds to bamboo tip replacements.
    I'm sure that there's plenty of similar guys in your area that would have no problem knocking this out for you in a week or two.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    Many of us on this site are far too trusting of other people, and have been burned numerous times.
    I'm more than a little surprised by that.

I've had 9-10 transactions involving fishing goods/money on this site. I have yet to have one that isn't satisfactory.

Just lucky, I guess.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by plecain View Post
    I'm more than a little surprised by that.

I've had 9-10 transactions involving fishing goods/money on this site. I have yet to have one that isn't satisfactory.

Just lucky, I guess.
    I wasn't so lucky. Burned on the very first (and only) one.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

I'll try the local shops, see if they know somebody.

Thanks,
    Alex