My first build - Epic 686

itchmesir

Reaction score
About a month ago I ordered an Epic Build Kit from Swift out of New Zealand... If you know little about Epic rods... The 686 is probably the most built blank out there... Quick search will show build after build after build... It's highly praised for its versatility... Been wanting to build my own rod for some time... Tax season rolled around and decided I wanted to jump on the 686 bandwagon.

The nice thing about these build kits is that just about everything you need comes in one box... Thread(natural silk and black), 5 min & 15 min epoxy... Color preserver... Thread finish... Brushes... Mixers... Cups for mixing... 40 page booklet on building the rod... Rod blank, snake brand guides, reel seat, pre-formed cork that's already reamed to fit snuggly against the blank and onto the seat... Fighting butt... And the box converts into a jig to hold the rod while you wrap and epoxy... I spent an additional $8 on the rest of the items... Fine toothed blade for my hacksaw(for cutting down the blank if adding fighting butt)... Denatured alcohol... Sand paper... And already owned bobbins for wrapping thread...

My first build definitely came with its share of complications... Learning to wrap thread... Probably re-wrapped each guide at least twice... The 100x of checking over your guides to make sure they're straight as possible(seriously maddening task)... Oh and how I so love the flex of fiberglass... You know except when you're trying to wrap the guides on the upper section that's bending and flexing like a noodle...

Overall it was a great experience... Can't wait to build another down the road(likely next winter)... This build definitely has its share of ugly spots... Which I'll probably redo in the off season... But right now it's built to fish...

goat trail

Reaction score
Sweet build itch! I'm very interested in doing a fiberglass build but I anticipated that the noodley tip section would be a challenge. Any tips to make the process easier or is it destined to be a pain in the a?

itchmesir

Reaction score
Sweet build itch! I'm very interested in doing a fiberglass build but I anticipated that the noodley tip section would be a challenge. Any tips to make the process easier or is it destined to be a pain in the a?
I'd have to do another build to truly give an answer... Otherwise I'd have to say total pita first time around

dean_mt

Reaction score
The top couple/few guides on any rod are a challenge, not just glass blanks.

For the tip top, if you put wraps up there, and the last snake guide you can try to wind the thread by hand like you would onto a hook shank while tying a fly.

If you can move the stands that hold the rod, that will be quite helpful in keeping the guide as close to a support as possible.

It's always a PITA!

Nice looking rod, Itch.

runningfish

Reaction score
It is a PITA for the first 2 guides. Use a bobbin; this way, you can leave the wrap without losing tension. I usually hooked my William Joseph forceps on the bobbin if I had to step away. also put the rod holders closer. I've only wrapped the tip top once for my first build, the rest I just put a layer of epoxy.

smokepoles

Reaction score
Looks very good, Eric. Give it a while, and the 'less-than-perfect' will not seems so critical. Just fish and enjoy.

Tight lines.

el jefe

Reaction score
To continue on smokepoles's point, I have found the following to be true in my own rodbuilding (I've built 8 rods).

First, the section that sets the tone for how people evaluate your work is the butt section. It has the most going on, with the reel seat, grip, and script area. It is the most decorative and has the largest components. Folks might next look at the stripping guide, but no one looks at anything else on the guides. They might look at the ferrule wraps and associated trim, but that's it. Those are the areas to focus most upon.

Second, when you build your own rod, you know where all the mistakes are. I refer you back to the preceding paragraph. The easiest parts to get right are the ones people look at.

Third, and speaking of mistakes, pull out a top end factory rod from any of the top rod manufacturers, put on some magnifiers if you need them, and get under some bright lights or out in the sunshine, and take a very close look at the guide wraps and ferrule wraps. You will find a lot of gaps on rods where the thread color resembles the blank color...a lot. Finish covers up a lot of mistakes. That is why most factory rods use thread colors that blend with the blank, or that go translucent when finish is applied.

In general, your standards and finish work are going to be better than the factory rods. The one area where factory rods have an edge is in the finish application, but that gap closes with experience, particularly if you have access to high quality rod turners.

After I finish building a rod, and kicking myself for every error I made, I go pull out a factory rod, and I feel a lot better. Like smokepole said, less than perfect won't seem so critical, especially when you realize you did better than the factory rod.

smokepoles

Reaction score
A couple additional thoughts on wrapping the upper sections of rods. I do not really have an issue with them flexing because I do them entirely in hand without any rod supports. That is, the rod is held with a hand closely on each side of the guide being wrapped and is just turned pulling thread from the tensioner. Even a ferrule end can be supported with a finger. I've always done it that want as I can lay the thread down very closely changing the angle slightly as needed. Son picked it up right away. I maybe do wrap a bit tighter than some as you sure do not budge my guides once wrapped as some allude to.

Now as to getting the guides straight on those thinner section, you are on your own ;)

itchmesir

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers guys.

Finally got out to lawn cast the rod finally... Most days off had either been fishing and getting home at dark or it'd been rainy. I only cast it so far with two lines. Wf6f mastery textured gpx and a wf7f mastery textured titan taper. Handled both lines superbly. Nice tight loops with the gpx. The titan taper had this rod acting like a rocket launcher. And it didn't feel over loaded either with the extra heavy titan taper. This rod casts so effortlessly. Can't wait to actually use it on the water.

el jefe

Reaction score
A couple additional thoughts on wrapping the upper sections of rods. I do not really have an issue with them flexing because I do them entirely in hand without any rod supports. That is, the rod is held with a hand closely on each side of the guide being wrapped and is just turned pulling thread from the tensioner. Even a ferrule end can be supported with a finger. I've always done it that want as I can lay the thread down very closely changing the angle slightly as needed. Son picked it up right away. I maybe do wrap a bit tighter than some as you sure do not budge my guides once wrapped as some allude to.

Now as to getting the guides straight on those thinner section, you are on your own ;)
Instead of supporting the ferrule with a finger, I just insert the next section into the female ferrule being wrapped. It's a long section you're holding at that point, and it won't work very well with 2-piece rods, but for anything more it works like a charm. When I first had that shown to me, my reaction was, "DUH!" I couldn't believe I didn't think of that. Makes the trim wraps on the edges of the ferrule go much easier, too.

But I do like you and wrap manually, for precisely the reason you mentioned--changing the angle of the thread.

runningfish

Reaction score
itch, as far the line goes with Epic 686. It isn't a picky rod, I've fished it successfully with a true 5wt line in Airflo SuperDry Elite with just a leader butt section when I forgot to bring my single hand leader wallet. I am using the SA Bonefish 6wt for it now. I used to have the SA Saltwater taper which I think was the best line for it. I used the Titan 7wt and 8wt for Epic 888 before I sold that built.

horsehead

Reaction score
Looks good! The 686 truly is a fantastic and versatile Rod. You're not gonna be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk