Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Upcoming builds? Whats on your bench?

Sounds like a fun project. What are you using to finish the blank? I used Tru-oil on a restoration a while back and it worked great.
    Proof Fly Fishing High quality fly rod components.

2. Default Re: Upcoming builds? Whats on your bench?

Currently putting last bit of Finish on a Sage One 9' 5wt. Black thread with light blue and purple trim.
    Turned Honduran Rosewood burl Spacer and REC Nickle silver hardware.
    Snake brand snake guides
    Reg cork grip with Burnt cork Diamond Inlay.

Up Next will be CTS Affinity MX. 9' 5wt. in honey brown. Brn, copper, and light blue trim. Still deciding on these colors
    Turned Coolibah Burl spacer and REC nickle silver Hardware
    Grip. Turned Coolibah burl with Nat. Cork. first attempt, but like the look.
    Snake brand snakes.

Nearly 5 years ago, I bought a 7'6" 1939 South Bend #25 in fine condition
    To restore it, it only needed 1 guide re-wraped and the varnish cleaned up.
    Well that cleaning has proved to be more difficult than expected
    I'll work on it for a while, realize that it's not going well and put it away
    I've reconditioned a few other rods in the meantime, but that one is still my main project until complete
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Just finished two builds - reminds me I need to post some pictures. One is a 7wt Blue Halo fiberglass - fished streamers with it on the Colorado last month and it is a blast. My first fiberglass and I'm very happy

Have the last coat of finish curing on a 7'6" 3wt Proof Fly Fishing Vivant. It's a build for a friend who will be fishing it here in Colorado this coming weekend at his annual "fish camp" near Steamboat. Can't wait to give it a cast before he picks it up I'll have to snap some pics too - he wanted teal wraps, which look sharp.

I have two 2 piece 8wt blanks sitting in a corner - want to build them for a couple family members to fish bass up in Wisconsin but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this Fall finish them as Christmas gifts? Also planning a fiberglass rod to donate to Colorado Children's Hospital Burn Camp. Build a 5wt fiberglass for their silent auction 2 years ago and it was a hit. Justin at Allen donated a reel to go along with it, which was awesome! This year plan to do a fiberglass.

Wow that's a lot of building.
    William, my daughter is a patient of Colorado Children's Hospital, and she has benefited directly from the efforts of people like yourself and Justin at Allen. I rarely get an opportunity to personally thank the folks who make the camps and the care possible, and I am thus grateful to be able to thank you now for your contributions (if a thanks over an internet forum counts as personal). I don't know if the Burn Camp you reference is Roundup River Ranch, but that is another Colorado Children's Hospital endeavor that is the highlight of the year for so many of the kids who attend, my daughter among them.

You have my undying gratitude, and I am glad that there are people like you in the world. Though few on this forum would be surprised by any of this, I wanted to recognize you publicly and personally.

Tight lines...if you have the time!

5. Likes lacanadio, williamhj liked this post

RDP 3WT 7-6. They are my poor boy imitation of an old school Winston taper. I sold my CT so I guess better get on it.

Nice rods.

I have the same length, 7' 6", in 0 & 1 weights.
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. -- Henry David Thoreau

Paul

8. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

It's "new rods for the whole family" season for me right now. Earlier this summer I completed a 9' 5wt Batson Rainshadow RX6 for my wife, she just caught her first fish on it this past weekend.

Waiting to be built, I have a 7'9" 3wt Batson Rainshadow RX6 for my mom. Also, a 3 piece 7'6" 4wt fiberglass blank from Angler's Roost, to build for my son, who recently broke his Eagle Claw featherlight fly rod.

10. Likes plecain liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    William, my daughter is a patient of Colorado Children's Hospital,
    Thanks for your kind words - I sent you a PM. Children's is a great place, I know some very good, caring folks who work there. I wish you and your daughter well.
    - William

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Thanks for your kind words - I sent you a PM. Children's is a great place, I know some very good, caring folks who work there. I wish you and your daughter well.
    Thanks, got it! Back at ya!

It's all relative, but she is doing well, due in no small part to the folks at Children's and their supporters.

My current Project is a Mudhole
    MHX One-Handed Fly Rod Kits
    SKU : #FFRK-906-4-FW-C

Blank Model: F906 | 9'0" | 6wt.
    Rod Pieces: 4
    Kit Handle Assembly: Full Wells
    Kit Components: Silver

I already want to buy my next project but was told by my wife "CEO/CFO". But I must get funds other than our house funds. I would love to sale one of my projects, But I don't know how to market my Rods. I also want to keep most of them too. I have plans to post photos. So I can get help how improve on my skills. How do you fund your projects?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast