Moonshine Rods.

brownbass

Reaction score
Have any of you fine people heard of or used Moonshine Rods, kits, blanks, or components? They have glass and graphite.

Last edited:

ravenbc

Reaction score
I followed them on Facebook think they are a brand new company the makes Rods and tobacco pipes.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
Interesting product mix? Yeah, I would say so. I thought their rods looked good and their prices on components looked, well down-rite cheap. What I am curious about was the quality of said components. I have tinkered with the idea of building my own fiberglass rod and this group caught my eye. Are the prices fair compared to others?

ravenbc

Reaction score
They are all Chinese imports, quality is OK. I have built a few of those blanks from another supplier.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Ordered a salt ready 8wt "outcast" and I am very happy with the performance and the build quality is top notch. Great customer service also. Pretty tough to beat the prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
Ordered a salt ready 8wt "outcast" and I am very happy with the performance and the build quality is top notch. Great customer service also. Pretty tough to beat the prices.

Thank you, oldskewl808. It is nice to hear from someone with real experience with Moonshine. I will probably check further before buying but they do sound like a good place for me for starter outfit.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Thank you, oldskewl808. It is nice to hear from someone with real experience with Moonshine. I will probably check further before buying but they do sound like a good place for me for starter outfit.

I was kind of in the same boat as you. By no means a starter outfit for me, but I had my eye on Moonshine and liked what I saw. The Owner Jonathan is already a well known smoking pipe hand crafter so I figured he had the correct work ethic, and attention to detail it took to produce a quality fly rod. He is of course also an avid fly fisher. He offers 3 models to choose from right now and I was told there is a lot of specialty rods in the works. So far I have only fished mine a couple times but I really feel I got more than my money's worth.

brownbass

Reaction score
I started a thread on six weight rods last week in the fly rods section and I have received a lot of information on the six and rod weights in general from it. You might check it out.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I started a thread on six weight rods last week in the fly rods section and I have received a lot of information on the six and rod weights in general from it. You might check it out.

Ok, I'll check it out and see if I have anything to add to the discussion as I have half a dozen or so 6-weight rods.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Got to test out the Outcast on a couple good sized fish today. Plenty of reserve power in the butt section is important for Bonefish this size, and the Moonshine Outcast did not let me down. So, nice action, feel, power, and good lookin rod too! It's a keeper.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Just in update on this company. I have been super pleased with my "Outcast" 8wt and these rods have become quite popular. I have come to know the owner of the company and he is a real cool guy trying his best to run his small business and keep up with demand. He gives me a heads up when we rods are available on the website so if you want to order a rod give me a message and I might be able to help you out with a discount code or info about new models and availability. I believe he is about to release some "drifter" models up on the website today. They sell out pretty quick.

sneltyr

Reaction score
Just in update on this company. I have been super pleased with my "Outcast" 8wt and these rods have become quite popular. I have come to know the owner of the company and he is a real cool guy trying his best to run his small business and keep up with demand. He gives me a heads up when we rods are available on the website so if you want to order a rod give me a message and I might be able to help you out with a discount code or info about new models and availability. I believe he is about to release some "drifter" models up on the website today. They sell out pretty quick.

Oldskewl- I'm interested, in their rods just from the standpoint of looks & uniqueness.
I even own one of their pipes.
Do you know where they source their components?

oldskewl808

Reaction score
For those that were waiting... 8wt and 6wt Outcasts just hit the website. Get them while you can, I'm sure they are going to sell out again pretty quick.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
I was just eyeballing the 8wt outcast. Looks like a solid rod and seems to be well received so far. Any other user opinions? It’s in the running for my first salt rod.

fullcircle

Reaction score
I'm new to the Forum and I just ordered the Drifter in a 9' 8wt to steelhead and smallmouth fish with. I don't know about the quality yet but the looks of this rod sold me. Anymore input on these would be great. The reviews on the website on this rod seemed great too.