Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Building Fly Rods

I do most of my fishing in south central Alaska around the road systems. Any where from Homer up north to the Denali area. I have a small cabin on a nice river up north of Anchorage a bit and that is probably where I fish the most.

Did you compile this list yourself or did you copy it from a rod building site?
    Both actually. I compiled it a few years ago and have it posted on a couple rod building sites, but you are more than welcome to use it. In fact, I may as well post these others as well as they are directed towards specific products (with some duplicates).

Blanks:
    Gatti Canada
    Gatti USA
    Madison River Fishing Co.
    Rod Blanks.com
    Angler's Workshop
    Mudhole Custom Rod Building
    Hook and Hackle
    Cabelas
    Custom Tackle
    Damon Rods
    Pacific Bay
    JW Trout
    C&G Tackle Outlet
    Batson Enterprises

Cork:
    C&D Trading
    Landmark Components
    Angler's Workshop
    Mudhole Custom Rod Building
    Hook and Hackle
    REC
    Golden Witch

Reel Seats:
    Bellinger
    Inserts by Les
    Rush River Rods
    Robert Venneri
    Dave LeClair
    REC
    Landmark Components
    Glenn Struble
    Larmar Custom Reel seats

Snake Guides:
    Snake Brand Guides

Rod Wrappers:
    Renzetti
    JW Bamboo Flyrods
    Cabelas
    Angler's Workshop
    Golden Witch

Aluminum Rod Tubes
    Landmark Components
    REC
    Robert Venneri
    Golden Witch

Default Re: Building Fly Rods

If you guys want to see some gorgeous, beautifully crafted cane rods, check out some of Chris' rods. This guy is an artist and craftsman.
    Carlin Bamboo Fly Rods - Far North Rodsmiths - Fine Bamboo Fly Rods and Blanks
    Good to have you aboard. You're knowledge is more than welcome.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I buy product from Dan Craft ttp://www.dancraftent.com and Schneidersrods- along with some of the other listed companies. I find the Dan Craft Signature series blanks much to my liking. So, let the fun begin!

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    I buy product from Dan Craft ttp://www.dancraftent.com and Schneidersrods- along with some of the other listed companies. I find the Dan Craft Signature series blanks much to my liking. So, let the fun begin!
    Dan Craft had fantastic blanks. He's extremely helpful too.

I build a few McFarland blanks -fiberglass- but Mike McFarland is also outstanding in his work. www.mcfarlandrods.com
    Also if you like glass, Mark Steffan- Steffan Brothers Steffen Brothers Fly Rods, Graphite Fly Rods, Fiberglass Fly Rods and Fly Rod Blanks!
    He designs and rolls his own.
    You have a question for either Mark or Mike or need a special blank designed and rolled, these two guys are awesome.
    Sticking with glass, Lamiglass honey is still out there. Sweet and slow.
    Anglers Workshop www.anglersworkshop.com carries them and has all the rod building supplies also.
    And if you don't like to dress your guides, Chris also posted Snake Brand Guides. The best guides on the market. A little more money, but well worth it. They're already prepped, but I just run the bottom over some 400 grit and wrap. http://www.snakeguides.com/
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

5. Default Re: Building Fly Rods

Thanks for the kind words and welcome mojo!

I have cast a couple of Dan Craft blanks and both were very nice. One was a little 2 weight that was a real treat.

C.F. Burkheimer is another custom graphite blank manufacturer that makes an incredible fishing tool.

Another note on Snake Brand: Mike is going to be releasing a new line of snake guides soon that have feet that are radiused along the bottom so they sit better on round blanks. Not sure on an ETA, but last time I spoke he said this fall. It is a small thing yet that is what sets his guides apart - wire gauge that is proportional to the guide size, consistent foot length, pre-prepped feet and lighter weight than other standard snake guides. Like you said mojo, a couple bucks more expensive for a full set but plenty worth it in time saved prepping and overall results.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and welcome mojo!

I have cast a couple of Dan Craft blanks and both were very nice. One was a little 2 weight that was a real treat.

C.F. Burkheimer is another custom graphite blank manufacturer that makes an incredible fishing tool.

Another note on Snake Brand: Mike is going to be releasing a new line of snake guides soon that have feet that are radiused along the bottom so they sit better on round blanks. Not sure on an ETA, but last time I spoke he said this fall. It is a small thing yet that is what sets his guides apart - wire gauge that is proportional to the guide size, consistent foot length, pre-prepped feet and lighter weight than other standard snake guides. Like you said mojo, a couple bucks more expensive for a full set but plenty worth it in time saved prepping and overall results.
    Chris, a friend of mine had 4 custom Burkheimers built. 6w rods specially built for Henry's Lake. He, out the the big heart he has, donated one to our Stonefly Society (SLC Chapter of TU)/Cache Valley Anglers chapter TU's 2nd Annual Fly Tying Expo last spring. It went a special ticket drawing, and one of Kelly Galloup's guides won it. It was a fantastic rod built by Bill Worden, another fantastic rod builder.
    Once again, thank you Jeff Welker (salmo22). Missed you up at the Big H a couple weeks ago.

7. Default Re: Building Fly Rods

Well, hey Jeff!

Its funny you mention Bill as he is up visiting AK for the weekend. I spent the last two days with him wading Mat-Su valley streams fishing for rainbow and grayling and we're heading down south tomorrow to spend the weekend on the Kenai.

He brought with him a very special custom Burkheimer that is a 4pc with two tip sections and two 2nd sections, giving him an 8'3" 6wt with two distinct actions depending on the configuration. One is a very tippy dry fly action the other a slower, stouter rig for throwing lead and streamers.

Here are a few photos showing his fabulous craftsmanship on the custom 6wt. The silver bands at the ferrules are actually custom turned titanium rings, and the reel seat is also custom made titanium (by Mark Shamburg). He used the old bamboo rodmaker's trick and did clear guide wraps (white silk gone transparent) and used Snake Brand agates for the stripper and taming guide.

That's a lot like the ones he built for Jeff. Custom full wells grip, Shamburg hidden thread titanium reel seat with "Trout Hunter" in Japanese engraved on the reel seat. 2 stripping guides (does that really tame the line as it shoots?) Two tips also. I've had a couple email questions to Bill in the past. Seems like a gentleman and a half. Tell him hi from Mojorizing.

9. Default Re: Building Fly Rods

Carlin pretty much covered the range. I would add that Custom Tackle Supply has just about everything at very good prices. Also, They ship blanks in PVC tubes to protect the rod.

Custom Tackle Supply - Custom Fishing Rod Building Blanks, Components and Tools From Your Custom Fishing Rod Building Experts

I like Angler's for cork because I can see what I'm ordering I like pictures!!

Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying

Mike

Just an update on Custom Tackle Supply...they have sold out to Mudhole in Florida. Tried to order a blank from them last month and was made aware of this.
    Tuck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast