Building Fly Rods

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Looks like I get to post the first thread in the new Fly Rod Building Forum. If you guys agree, I would like to post a "Sticky" in this forum with sources for rod building materials. My first thought is Mudhole. If you guys give me the information I will put all the links in one Sticky. I think it will be helpful for beginners. I know several other sources but don't have the time right now to do them.

Frank

Joni

Reaction score
RIGHT ON! Now I will post when I start to build my Bamboo.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I've built some rods & I've purchased most of my stuff from Hook & Hackle. They have a good website for beginners with guide spacing charts & other info.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I wanted to bring this post back up in case some of you missed it. I am looking for places that you buy your rod building supplies or tools.

So far I have these sites for rod building materials:

Mudhole
Angler's Workshop
Netcraft
JS Fly Fishing

Any body got a site that specializes in Bamboo Rod building materials?

Frank

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

Here is an interesting tutorial for building Bamboo rods. I was particularly interested in the way he attached ferrules with Pliobond. You all know I am a big fan of Pliobond. I would never have thought to use it for attaching a ferrule.

Frank

shorthaul

Reaction score
Thanks Frank---Im right at that spot right now with my rod, installing my ferrules-im using chromed brass for this rod that i can get locally---A source for high end fittings (reel seats, ferrules, guides) is REC.com---They have been around for a long time.
Mike

Carlin

Reaction score
Here is a list of folks who specialize in bamboo rod components and tools:

Genuine Bellinger (call to order - will soon have eCommerce ability)
Snake Brand - Where Elegance Enters the Sport (Mike will soon be selling specially ground guides for graphite rods with radiused feet)
Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing
JD Wagner Bamboo Rodmaker/ Maker of Split Cane Fly Rods
REC Reel Seats,Rod Case,Cork,RECOIL Guides,Rod Building Supplies
Robert Venneri's Hand-Crafted Fishing Reel Seats and Componentry
Rush River Rods

Angler's Workshop, Mudhole and J. Stockard all also carry some bamboo related stuff.

And here are a bunch of suppliers of rodmaking stuff in general:
General Rodbuilding:
Fish Sticks 4 U
J. Stockard Fly Fishing
Patriot Custom Fishing Rods
Rocky Mountain Rod Building
Angler's Workshop
Mudhole Custom Rod Building
Hook and Hackle
Jann's Netcraft
Cabelas
Custom Tackle
Damon Rods
REC
Pacific Bay
Neal's Fishing Tackle
Versitex
Shoff Tackle
RodBuilder Supplies
Custom Fly Rod Crafters
Midwest Rod and Reel
Fly Catcher Inc.
Johnny's Pond
BC Distributing
Acid Rod

Non-US sites
Solway Custom Components - UK
http://www.guidesnblanks.com/ - UK - General rod building supplies
http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/ - UK - Quality guides, plus various supplies
http://www.norman-agutters.com/index.htm - UK - Cane blanks and fittings
http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/index.htm - UK - Split cane blanks and ferrules
http://www.foxons.co.uk/default.asp - UK - Useful for discontinued blanks, plus some general supplies
http://www.riversiderodcraft.co.uk/ - UK - General rod building supplies
The Rod Works - Australia

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comprehensive list. I have a question. Did you compile this list yourself or did you copy it from a rod building site? If you compiled it yourself would you mind if we use it as a reference?

By the way, where do you fish in Alaska?

Frank

Carlin

Reaction score
I do most of my fishing in south central Alaska around the road systems. Any where from Homer up north to the Denali area. I have a small cabin on a nice river up north of Anchorage a bit and that is probably where I fish the most. :)

Did you compile this list yourself or did you copy it from a rod building site?
Both actually. I compiled it a few years ago and have it posted on a couple rod building sites, but you are more than welcome to use it. In fact, I may as well post these others as well as they are directed towards specific products (with some duplicates).

Blanks:
Gatti Canada
Gatti USA
Madison River Fishing Co.
Rod Blanks.com
Angler's Workshop
Hook and Hackle
Cabelas
Custom Tackle
Damon Rods
Pacific Bay
JW Trout
C&G Tackle Outlet
Batson Enterprises

Cork:
C&D Trading
Landmark Components
Angler's Workshop
Hook and Hackle
REC
Golden Witch

Reel Seats:
Bellinger
Inserts by Les
Rush River Rods
Robert Venneri
Dave LeClair
REC
Landmark Components
Glenn Struble
Larmar Custom Reel seats

Snake Guides:
Snake Brand Guides

Rod Wrappers:
Renzetti
JW Bamboo Flyrods
Cabelas
Angler's Workshop
Golden Witch

Aluminum Rod Tubes
Landmark Components
REC
Robert Venneri
Golden Witch

hardhat

Reaction score
I buy product from Dan Craft ttp://www.dancraftent.com and Schneidersrods- along with some of the other listed companies. I find the Dan Craft Signature series blanks much to my liking. So, let the fun begin!

mojo

Reaction score
I buy product from Dan Craft ttp://www.dancraftent.com and Schneidersrods- along with some of the other listed companies. I find the Dan Craft Signature series blanks much to my liking. So, let the fun begin!
Dan Craft had fantastic blanks. He's extremely helpful too.

I build a few McFarland blanks -fiberglass- but Mike McFarland is also outstanding in his work. www.mcfarlandrods.com
Also if you like glass, Mark Steffan- Steffan Brothers Steffen Brothers Fly Rods, Graphite Fly Rods, Fiberglass Fly Rods and Fly Rod Blanks!
He designs and rolls his own.
You have a question for either Mark or Mike or need a special blank designed and rolled, these two guys are awesome.
Sticking with glass, Lamiglass honey is still out there. Sweet and slow.
Anglers Workshop www.anglersworkshop.com carries them and has all the rod building supplies also.
And if you don't like to dress your guides, Chris also posted Snake Brand Guides. The best guides on the market. A little more money, but well worth it. They're already prepped, but I just run the bottom over some 400 grit and wrap. http://www.snakeguides.com/

Carlin

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and welcome mojo!

I have cast a couple of Dan Craft blanks and both were very nice. One was a little 2 weight that was a real treat.

C.F. Burkheimer is another custom graphite blank manufacturer that makes an incredible fishing tool.

Another note on Snake Brand: Mike is going to be releasing a new line of snake guides soon that have feet that are radiused along the bottom so they sit better on round blanks. Not sure on an ETA, but last time I spoke he said this fall. It is a small thing yet that is what sets his guides apart - wire gauge that is proportional to the guide size, consistent foot length, pre-prepped feet and lighter weight than other standard snake guides. Like you said mojo, a couple bucks more expensive for a full set but plenty worth it in time saved prepping and overall results.

mojo

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and welcome mojo!

I have cast a couple of Dan Craft blanks and both were very nice. One was a little 2 weight that was a real treat.

C.F. Burkheimer is another custom graphite blank manufacturer that makes an incredible fishing tool.

Another note on Snake Brand: Mike is going to be releasing a new line of snake guides soon that have feet that are radiused along the bottom so they sit better on round blanks. Not sure on an ETA, but last time I spoke he said this fall. It is a small thing yet that is what sets his guides apart - wire gauge that is proportional to the guide size, consistent foot length, pre-prepped feet and lighter weight than other standard snake guides. Like you said mojo, a couple bucks more expensive for a full set but plenty worth it in time saved prepping and overall results.
Chris, a friend of mine had 4 custom Burkheimers built. 6w rods specially built for Henry's Lake. He, out the the big heart he has, donated one to our Stonefly Society (SLC Chapter of TU)/Cache Valley Anglers chapter TU's 2nd Annual Fly Tying Expo last spring. It went a special ticket drawing, and one of Kelly Galloup's guides won it. It was a fantastic rod built by Bill Worden, another fantastic rod builder.
Once again, thank you Jeff Welker (salmo22). Missed you up at the Big H a couple weeks ago.

Carlin

Reaction score
Well, hey Jeff!

Its funny you mention Bill as he is up visiting AK for the weekend. I spent the last two days with him wading Mat-Su valley streams fishing for rainbow and grayling and we're heading down south tomorrow to spend the weekend on the Kenai. :)

He brought with him a very special custom Burkheimer that is a 4pc with two tip sections and two 2nd sections, giving him an 8'3" 6wt with two distinct actions depending on the configuration. One is a very tippy dry fly action the other a slower, stouter rig for throwing lead and streamers.

Here are a few photos showing his fabulous craftsmanship on the custom 6wt. The silver bands at the ferrules are actually custom turned titanium rings, and the reel seat is also custom made titanium (by Mark Shamburg). He used the old bamboo rodmaker's trick and did clear guide wraps (white silk gone transparent) and used Snake Brand agates for the stripper and taming guide.

mojo

Reaction score
That's a lot like the ones he built for Jeff. Custom full wells grip, Shamburg hidden thread titanium reel seat with "Trout Hunter" in Japanese engraved on the reel seat. 2 stripping guides (does that really tame the line as it shoots?) Two tips also. I've had a couple email questions to Bill in the past. Seems like a gentleman and a half. Tell him hi from Mojorizing.

Silenttracker

Reaction score

ksigtuck

Reaction score
Just an update on Custom Tackle Supply...they have sold out to Mudhole in Florida. Tried to order a blank from them last month and was made aware of this.
Tuck