Gary Loomis and North Fork Composites.

fyshstykr

Reaction score

ivory arrow

Reaction score
It's been a while but I am wondering the same question. Anybody get into one of these yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I have 2 or 3 Kistler Bass casting rods using a North Fork Composites blank. They are great light weight rods with high sensitivity. My favorite casting rods. Sensitivity is important in a casting rod and these do excel.

I was never a fan of the early Gary Loomis fly rods. Preferred the Sage rods.

Frank

ivory arrow

Reaction score
Yeah I know, that surprised me a lot.

I did a little (and I do mean little) bit of research and found that Shimano bought G.Loomis rod company many years ago and that the original designer has had very little to do with them for quite some time. They have in fact sued him in 3 different times that he has tried to open new fly rod companies.

He now has Epic fly rods,
Which only offer a few models, and the NFC composite blanks, which only offer a few models.

It is very interesting to me. He describes it as a general purpose classic trout rod.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
This rather surprised me:

Only US distributor:

--Batson Enterprises Exclusive Distributor--
Batson Enterprises
130 Harrison Suite 8

Sequim, WA 98382
I saw that two years ago when I shopped for my first blank to build. I wondered if it was a Loomis design and a Batson build. Probably just a joint business endeavor. Loomis is unlikely to make a nationwide attempt to undercut their flagship line. I don't think you will see economy Loomis in fly shops anytime soon.

Hirdy

Reaction score
He now has Epic fly rods,
Which only offer a few models, and the NFC composite blanks, which only offer a few models.
Guessing this is a typo. Gary Loomis has nothing to do with Epic fly rods, which are mainly glass rods/blanks produced by Carl McNeil in New Zealand.

Cheers,
Graeme

ivory arrow

Reaction score
Whoops, yes that was a typo. It is "Edge" rods.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I saw that two years ago when I shopped for my first blank to build. I wondered if it was a Loomis design and a Batson build. Probably just a joint business endeavor. Loomis is unlikely to make a nationwide attempt to undercut their flagship line. I don't think you will see economy Loomis in fly shops anytime soon.
Maybe my coffee has yet to kick in fully and I'm misunderstanding the statement, but just in case I wanted to clarify. Gary loomis of North fork Composites has nothing to do with the large commercial brand that still carries his name which is owned by Shimano, infact I would dare say that he would undercut the heck out of them if it were possible.:)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Maybe my coffee has yet to kick in fully and I'm misunderstanding the statement, but just in case I wanted to clarify. Gary loomis of North fork Composites has nothing to do with the large commercial brand that still carries his name which is owned by Shimano, infact I would dare say that he would undercut the heck out of them if it were possible.:)
No you understood me John I didn't realize he had zero to do with design after the Shimano acqusition. Given that, I am surprised he didn't have to sign a non-compete covenant. Or perhaps he did, and that time has expired.

On a side note, guessing he is well past 70 yrs old now? Probably in semi-retirement mode now, or very soon. I sure would be :)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
There was a non-compete agreement agreed to, in which he complied for the agreed length of time. There were still issues between he and Shimano and several lawsuits(mentioned above) that I believe were more to his use of his name in any future company or rods.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
There was a non-compete agreement agreed to, in which he complied for the agreed length of time. There were still issues between he and Shimano and several lawsuits(mentioned above) that I believe were more to his use of his name in any future company or rods.
Makes sense to me, given the obvious fact that his name associated with fly rods would comprise a very substantial portion of the value he sold them,

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I will attempt to offer some clarity here though it is a bit complicated. Gary Loomis started G.Loomis in the early 1980's and quickly emerged as a leading innovator in carbon blank fabrication with many "firststs" attributed to him. He was not renowned as a taper designer and it was only after Steve Rajeff, even then the World Casting Champion joined the company in the mid 80's that G.Loomis begin to develop a reputation as a top fly rod brand. Steve's first project was post IM6, IMX then on to seminal GLX one of the best and most influential rods ever.

Their success attracted Shimano USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of the parent Japanese giant. Around this time Gary Loomis developed a serious illness and his very survival was in dobut so mutual intereset intersected and the company was sold to Shimano. G.Loomis, left to function independently by Shimano who wisely supplied only financial and other business input but less wisely packaged Loomis together with Shimano products through a commercial rep agency, continued, under Rajeff, to design and fabricate some of the absolute best performing rods in the world and still do.

Meanwhile, Gary Loomis recovered from cancer and, barred by sales agreement from branding fishing products under his name for a set period of years, eventually started North Fork Composites, a blank building enterprise. He primarily sold product to costom makers but also did contract and consulting projects. Finally his agreement with Shimano ended permiting him to re-establish his name and, after having thought about it for years, introduced EDGE. First as casting and spinning rods but last January at Somerset, introduced a limited line of fly rods. I wrote about them in my Somerset Report after the show and have been fishing the smallest, an 8 1/2'/#4 through this past season. A fast action, $895 beautiful rod, it casts great. Its blank is fabricated by NFC but is unique to the EDGE line of rods and, to my awareness, is not available as a blank. Loomis has been a consultant to TFO regarding their conventional tackle and, now with EDGE, TFO is the exclusive distributor for the EDGE line of rods. New models are slowly proliferating and when the line-up is fleshed out, I imagine TFO will include them on their website and make a marketing push for these born mature premium rods.

Under Gear Reviews, I published a review of*the 4-weight with an image if you wish to read a more detailed evaluation of EDGE.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Something about this seems "off" to me. The capital markets are awash with idle cash right now and the North Fork venture is safely launched. Why would so prominent a figure in the industry as Gary Loomis resort to kickstarter, rather than more conventional channels, to find the risk capital needed to market test a new product? Why isn't TFO's marketing department talking these rods up as an exciting future model? It looks like kickstarter "investors" are really only putting up a full-price nonrefundable deposit to buy a limited-production experimental rod at a premium price point, with no participation in the equity if successful and not even an enticing discount to the full retail value of similar market-supported offerings.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Something about this seems "off" to me. The capital markets are awash with idle cash right now and the North Fork venture is safely launched. Why would so prominent a figure in the industry as Gary Loomis resort to kickstarter, rather than more conventional channels, to find the risk capital needed to market test a new product? Why isn't TFO's marketing department talking these rods up as an exciting future model? It looks like kickstarter "investors" are really only putting up a full-price nonrefundable deposit to buy a limited-production experimental rod at a premium price point, with no participation in the equity if successful and not even an enticing discount to the full retail value of similar market-supported offerings.
We had a thread about this perhaps a year ago. It sounds odd indeed. Unnecessary at the very least.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
+1 to ia's comment above. This struck me a strange, very-very strange. Not the least is to find 'it' you'd have to (pretty much) just stumble across same.