Another build!

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Fair warning: another spin. Another fair warning: if you are one who complained about the styling of the H3, you're not going to like this. It's LOUD.
I got tired of using my wife's pink and purple spin rod while chasing bass. I'm not giving up fly for trout by any means, but with the winter being a record breaker, the subsequent river being unfishable for many months, I got so desperate to go fishing I started chasing bass in unnamed ponds, and it reminded me how much I love to do that also. I'm weird, I don't like fly fishing still water, and don't like conventional fishing moving water.
So this will be my 3rd build now. I feel like I've been getting fairly good. I wanted to try a few new things and try to stretch out my skill level. I went with much nicer components on this. It's a 7' light power, fast action for finessing out our stunted big mouths.
The blank is a white MHX. I went with red camo winn grips, split. A anodized gunmetal/red insert raptor reel seat, machined aluminum and dimpled winding checks. High end zirconium oxide micro guides. Colors over the white blank are red, black, and a bit of gunmetal. All paired with a Piscifun honor spinning reel.

I have to say, first off, the guys at mudhole have a good sense of humor. When you order online, they have a section for "special comments or suggestions". I thought I was being funny and simply typed in "cats eating tacos". This is how the box came:

Grips, winding cheacks and reel seat mounted:

Chevron wraps between the fighting butt and rear grip:

Above the grips I did red and black metallic marbling in the epoxy:

I left the guide wraps relatively simple. Short, black, and a little bit of red and gunmetal trim wraps:

I could of done more, but the micro guide sets are so small towards the tip there just wasn't much to work with without lengthening the wraps way more than was needed.

So it's almost done. I need to do trim wraps around the marbling and get the hook keeper mounted, then a few more coats of epoxy and that should be a wrap!

Last edited:

el_deanyo

Reaction score
Incredible. If i could get to be 10% as good as building as you are, I'd be in great shape.

mudholetaylor

Reaction score
Great job! I love the marbling and the subtlety of the red metallic thread band in the guide wraps! Super clean build, what are you building next?