The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 PM

epicjames is on a distinguished road
Default Guide spacing for 4 piece 9'9'' 5wt and other questions

Hello, folks, noob here, to the site and rod building. I'm taking a stab at this with anglers roost graphite 4 piece 9'9'' 5 wt blank that was given to me. I was first told that it was a 10 footer but when I broke out the tape to measure it, it came to 9'9''. So, my first dilemma is that all the guide spacing calculators and charts I've come across put guides on or very near the connection points. This seems odd and contradicts how all my other rods are put together. Also, I purchased a kit from ebay that contained the cork grip, winding check, 9 guides, tip top, and reel seat. My second dilemma is that 9 guides just seems like it's not enough guides and I keep coming across other kits that include 10 guides plus the tip-top. There's not much interweb info out there on building a rod of this size so this is my last resort before I just throw it together with what I've got in hand and what info I have found.

So my questions are:
1) Should I buy another guide so I will have - 2 stripping guides, 8 guides, tip-top? Or should I go with what I have?
2) Does anyone know the guide spacing for a rod of these characteristics; both 9 guide spacing and 10 guide spacing?
3) How far from the base should I place the first guide?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all
Default Re: Guide spacing for 4 piece 9'9'' 5wt and other questions

Contacting Anglers Roost might be helpful for spacing.
Most 9' rods I have , have 10 guides and tip. 9'9" might call for 11 guides.
As for spacing putting guides on or near connections. Many rods today are so. Wrappings and epoxy serve to reinforce female connections. Often mfgs will wrap connection (female) to do so even if no guide is involved.

....... pc
Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Guide spacing for 4 piece 9'9'' 5wt and other questions

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicjames View Post
Hello, folks, noob here, to the site and rod building. I'm taking a stab at this with anglers roost graphite 4 piece 9'9'' 5 wt blank that was given to me. I was first told that it was a 10 footer but when I broke out the tape to measure it, it came to 9'9''. So, my first dilemma is that all the guide spacing calculators and charts I've come across put guides on or very near the connection points. This seems odd and contradicts how all my other rods are put together. Also, I purchased a kit from ebay that contained the cork grip, winding check, 9 guides, tip top, and reel seat. My second dilemma is that 9 guides just seems like it's not enough guides and I keep coming across other kits that include 10 guides plus the tip-top. There's not much interweb info out there on building a rod of this size so this is my last resort before I just throw it together with what I've got in hand and what info I have found.

So my questions are:
1) Should I buy another guide so I will have - 2 stripping guides, 8 guides, tip-top? Or should I go with what I have?
2) Does anyone know the guide spacing for a rod of these characteristics; both 9 guide spacing and 10 guide spacing?
3) How far from the base should I place the first guide?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!
Personally, I would go with 10 guides on that rod.
The first stripping guide needs to be as far up the blank as you might normally reach with your line hand when stripping line.

If you can't find a good spacing chart, tape the guides where you think that they might best go. Then put a line on the rod and look for 'sags'.
You don't want any space wide enough between guides to impede your cast.
Cast it like that if possible and make any adjustments you feel necessary
Old 08-11-2017, 01:14 PM

nevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond repute

There are many guide spacing calculators available around the web for any blank length/guide set.
Heres one:
Guide Spacing Calculator

For your blank:
Click the image to open in full size.

Running in to guides around the ferrules can happen. You can move the guide up an inch or so, then move the next one up a half or quarter. You can also just continue to wrap a ferrule wrap in to a guide wrap, like I did here:

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 10:47 AM

bish0p is on a distinguished road

The guide spacing chart is just a starting point for positioning guides. You'll need the reel seat, reel, and tip top installed. With the line coming from the reel through the tip, bend the blank. Make sure line follows the curve of the blank. Also look for the angle of the line to the front and rear of the guide.

Rodbuilding.org - Static Guide Placement

It's hard for me to know how many guides to buy. For guide sizes, I always buy one or two extra running guides. You should need two or three reduction guides before you get to the rear most running guide size.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/f...ide_sizing.pdf

To get an idea for guide sizes for the rod weight and length, I use Sage's guide sizing chart. Compared to the chart below, I'd use size 1 running guides for the first seven guides to keep it simple.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/rod-building

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

I forgot to mention I place the stripper (butt) guide 30-32 inches from the butt of the rod. You can move the stripper guide as you static load the blank.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:32 PM

epicjames is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the many replies. I guess I shouldn't be worried about the guides being close to the ferrules. I didn't think about how the wraps and epoxy will work to reinforce that part of the blank. I've ordered another set of guides that has 9 single foots, two stripping, and the tip top. As for the spacing, I did contact anglers roost and have been provided a spacing chart. I'm going to follow that. If anyone wants to see the build I can post pics as I progress. Again, thanks for the info above. Don't hesitate to comment further if you want. I really enjoy this craft and think I'm hooked
Old 08-13-2017, 07:30 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

Glad you found info needed. Pics sound good.
The craft , as you said. Gets more compulsive , as soon as the first fish is on the line. And the rod you just built in your hand.

..... pc
Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 PM

kayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud of

There's not much interweb info out there on building a rod of this size so this is my last resort before I just throw it together with what I've got in hand and what info I have found.

Oh yes there is

Rod Building