MHX Native rods

muaythaiflyguy

Reaction score
Good day everyone, looking at building a few rods over winter(first attempts), looking at the MHX Native blanks in 5,6, 8,10 wt. just looking for some reviews and feedback. Has anyone ever built/cast them?? For reference/comparison I like light fast action rods and enjoy my TFO BVKs. 5/6 wts would be for trout, 8/10 would be for pike and saltwater.
Thankyou!!

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Good day everyone, looking at building a few rods over winter(first attempts), looking at the MHX Native blanks in 5,6, 8,10 wt. just looking for some reviews and feedback. Has anyone ever built/cast them?? For reference/comparison I like light fast action rods and enjoy my TFO BVKs. 5/6 wts would be for trout, 8/10 would be for pike and saltwater.
Thankyou!!
Unfortunately, I havent built a mhx fly rod, but I have built a few mhx conventional rods. Thise have been absolutely fabulous blanks, probably the best Ive casted. Ive liked them so much my next fly rod will be on a mhx blank.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

pnc

Reaction score
Get rod building supplies through Mud Hole. I've built one of their fly blanks......... one ! What is advertised a graphite rod having a"Mod-fst" action in their catalog. Is slower than any glass rod of similar size that I have. Apparently my ideas of actions clash with theirs.
They also sell TFO rod blanks. About same in cost as MHX.
Be aware. Their expertise on building fly rods is limited at best. Know what you want, call, make sure items are in stock, and don't buy their guide kit for fly rods. Get good snakes & strippers sold individually.

.......... pc

mudholetaylor

Reaction score
I have fished the Natives in those weights and feel the 5wt is pretty quick and responsive and for me does better with a DT line or a 1/2 heavier line. It has the mustard to be a 5wt flats rod for trout, redfish, etc and does well with the Cortland 444 5wt Tropic line. The 6wt is also quite similar as well as the 7wt. Both throw a Rio Grand or Rio Redfish line extremely well. The weights and diameters are lighter and smaller than the original MHX fly blanks if you have built on those. They were also a little stiffer but do not recover as fast or respond quite as well as the Native in my opinion. I have fished the 8wt for redfish on the flats and it does well with the Rio Redfish and the added little muscle is nice on the flats. They kind of remind me of a Sage One I threw before. The 10wt is different though, it is a cannon. I threw a friend of mine with the SA Mastery Tarpon and you can sling it and has tons of power. It feels more like a Xi3 or SALT to me, as you can really grip it and rip it. Hope this helps.

huronfly

Reaction score
I built a 9' 5 weight MHX and I like it quite a bit, handled NZ browns amazingly... but not near as fast as my bvk 6 wt. (I don't like super fast rods all that much)

I've also built the 11' 7 weight switch, which I do not like at all for spey casting, it feels pretty gutless compared to my Lsi 11' 7 weight... maybe I just need to experiment with more lines, but my Lsi is better with every line I've tried.

Edit: I didn't realize this was for the new 'native' blanks, so my experience might not be worth anything.