Where to start?

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
Ok all you builders out there, I’m considering giving rod building a go. I’ve been cruising around the internet looking at some tech stuff on the process, and I’m pretty confident I can give it a respectable go. Not that I need another rod, or another hobby for that matter, but I think it would be a fun project. I’m a pretty crafty guy, I build my own electric basses and speaker cabinets, do carpentry for a living, I even restored an old rifle back to working order a few years ago.

My question is where to start on materials. I have seen several websites offering blanks and components for a wide range of prices. I don’t want to go expensive first time out, but would like a decent rod at the end of it. Looking to do a fiberglass 4 or 5 weight and just wanted a little advice on good places to source inexpensive, but not junk, components. Thanks in advance!

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
Wow. That site is borderline overwhelming! I’m gonna need to sit down and really look it over. Thanks a lot!

Anything in particular to avoid with fiberglass blanks?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just buy a KIT and do it.
After the first one, you'll wonder why you haven't built all your own rods. :thumbup:
And once you realize how simple it all is, there's no stopping.
And after that you'll have a much better understanding on how to customize to your own specs.
You don't need any special tools and jigs to begin
A cardboard box and a fly tying bobbin is all that you need to get started

pnc

Reaction score
Might have look at, Mudhole. Order most of my supplies through them. Think they also have video instructions.
Don't get overwhelmed by all the options available. Wrapping is easy, did first rod on lap. Yes, wrapping stands speed things up. But important part is getting started. Sooner you do, the longer you will build your owm rods.

........ pc

williamhj

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Lately I get most of my stuff from Proof Fly Fishing - good line of blanks, seats, grips, and components as well as the finishing stuff you need for the rod.

You don't need to spend much to make a good rod, but personally I'd pay up a bit for Snake Brand guides. Most guides require you to do some file work on the feet to create a tapered ramp for the thread to smoothly climb when you wrap the rod. Snake Brand guides are created so you don't have to do any prep work at all. The Snake Brand Universals are curved on the bottom so they sit very nicely on a round blank. Well worth the extra money. Proof sells stripping guides and other components that match the finish on the Snake Brands - the stripping guides do require the prep work.

As for fiberglass - Proofs are very nice and I've also built Blue Halo which are great, though a bit more money.

Enjoy!