New member getting started

jjohnsind

Reaction score
First post & new member. After 30+ years of tournament bass fishing, I thought I'd take up fly fishing on the side. Complete beginner, but I have taken some casting lessons and now need to start putting together some gear. My first dilemma is whether to build my first rod or just buy a good one. I don't even know if I should start with a moderate action or fast action rod (most modern rods seem to be fast these days). My lessons were on a Scott G Series (vintage) and I seem to cast that fine, never tried a fast action.

I have built plenty of rods for myself for bass fishing and my experience in the sport is what translates into me making good rods. I know nothing about fly fishing and won't know any "tweaks" to build a rod "better" but could certainly put on a reel seat, handle, & guides... IF you guys think that is enough. I typically get top shelf components but it would be nice to know what is a waste and what shouldn't be skimped on. I am considering buying a Scott G Series (current rendition) or a Sage X (9ft. 5wt) and would love some recommendations as to what blanks to consider if I end up going the build route (I know the Sage X blanks are available, but don't know of any good moderate action blanks in the caliber of the Scott). I assume, as a beginner, I should be leaning towards the moderate action rod? If there are any other store brand rods I should consider, I'd welcome those comments as well. Thanks!

silver creek

Reaction score
You've had casting lessons. Since you did fine with the Scott G Series, I suggest that medium action. Most beginners do best with a medium or medium fast action, and not a fast action.

Although you have had casting lessons, you can still sign up for a free fly casting lesson at an Orvis store (Orvis Fly Fishing 101). They are probably over for the year since they occur during spring and summer. Maybe they will bring several rod actions for the students to try.

Fly-Fishing 101 | Orvis

I don't think you will have a problem building the rod BUT if you decide it is NOT for you and try to sell it, a factory rod is much easier to sell. Also if you break the custom rod blank, you need to remove all components from the broken section and send the rod blank section to get a new rod blank.

https://www.scottflyrod.com/services

Last edited:

denver1911

Reaction score
My first home-rolled rod was from a house-brand hook and hackle blank. I prettied it up with quality single-foot guides, reel seat, etc. It was a great experience and a decent rod. I would suggest you do whatever makes you enjoy the sport the most. Today, I'd not build my own. That's time I could spend doing something more fun .. like fishing :). And, there are so many good rods on the market today that there is little "need" to do it yourself.

If you do build, get a decent blank, great guides, and pretty hardware.