Cork Repair

M

mike sr

Hi everyone first time posting on this subject Hope i'm posting in the right section. I am trying to figure out how to repair the Cork on a Rod I have just purchased. It was very inexpensive because of the damage and I thought it would be perfect for my pond fishing...I could leave it and fish with itr the way it is but it bothers the heck at of me...I'd love to attempt to fix it... Thanks MikeIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3727.jpg

ravenbc

Reaction score
Post a pic of the damage, and I am sure you will get some help on how to repair.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

knotjoe

Reaction score
Simple way is with two-part epoxy wood filler. Helps to have a bit of wire frame in there as cork is a bit tricky to get strong adhesion. Here's the idea, take any light wire (needle, guitar string, something stiff) and insert as far into the remaining cork as you can get (probably 1/2 inch). The yellow lines sticking out are your "frame" and will help immensely with holding the filler in place over time.

handle.jpg

You might just press the putty in there and it may hold very well, but the "anchor wire" is the best insurance you'll get against peel out/fall out against bare metal and cork. Secure the patch with some skeleton underneath, it'll hold far better. Small area to work with, but no more daunting than small flytying or hook removal moves in a fish. If you can, when cleaning up the loose edges, undercut the edges a bit like an eroded creek bank and you'll maximize the result. Think pointy exacto knife and some patience.

Removing the entire ring is another option, it would require more material to patch or replace.

If you are asking this question, I'm not going to go into replacing the cork ring or using a decorative string arbor because I don't think you have the supplies. There's other ways of doing this, but it gets more complicated and you state it's an "inexpensive pond rod" so I assume simplicity and functionality is the path here. Fill and sand to shape, quick and easy.

I've used this under skeleton (with deck screws, nails, etc) technique on exterior doors and believe me, it holds the modern epoxy putties in place very well through a lot of stress. Don't just rely on surface contact/adhesion, it'll fail much sooner with patches like that.

M

mike sr

Thanks So much Could you recommend one for me.... Any particular epoxy wood filler? I've seen two part epoxy but not 2 part wood filler... Thanks

Last edited:

knotjoe

Reaction score
I've seen two part epoxy but not 2 part wood filler... Thanks
Yeah, you have. I'm speaking of the ubiquitous "glue loafs" in every store's glue section which are sliced and then mash-mixed with your (gloved) fingers. Recognize these type of products?

Epoxy Putty Sticks

| J-B Weld

I've used many different brands and forms, but they're really all the same to me in function and performance. The nice thing about the little "loafs" is that the slice is pre-measured by virtue of rolled proportions and they come in smaller sizes. They work about the same as the stuff in separate tubs. Pick something close to your cork color.

Once the surface is clean and prepped with the re-bar wires, push it in there pretty good to get maximum surface contact. They all sand well, but I prefer the razor or very sharp chisel to get the cured work in the ballpark size before sanding. It minimizes airborne epoxy dust. Overfill slightly, it's easy to whittle/shave off with a sharp razor.

Reactions: Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm all for patching and I've done it many times on rods that I've worked on.
But with that amount of damage I believe that cutting out and replacing the affected rings would be the better way to go
...Buy a couple of cork rings.
...Cut out the same amount of length to be replaced on the grip.
...Cut the replacement rings in half. Fit them into the space and glue it all back together.
...Sand it to size
Not difficult at all

c web

Reaction score
I have never repaired anything that large but for fairly large pits I have had good luck with super glue mixed with sanded cork dust.

I agree with rip tide, on that one I think I would attempt to replace the rings.

ddb

Reaction score
The reel seat looks like its metal. If so, you can heat it a craft flame and the epoxy beneath will release it.

It would be far easier to add a new one piece replacement cork ring and sand it into shape w/o the reel seat in the way.

The reel seat can then be reattached with epoxy.

ddb

D

dryfly70

Thanks everyone I'm going to repair it this week and will post results Thanks Guys

D

dryfly70

Re: Cork Repair FINISHED

Thanks everyone I am quite happy with the way it came out, I took tiny stainless steel finishing nails in the cork, then moistened entire area to be corked, scraped small pieces of cork into tiny particles and then applied a mound of Gorilla Glue into a pile and just started mixing in the cork until it was like a thick oatmeal. I then applied it the area that needed cork and applied it while pressing it down trying to get the shape I needed. I then brushed on Super Glue to fill any voids and let it dry for about four hours under a fan. I then took my Dremmel Tool and put on a fine round sanding spool and carefully shaped it as close to the original shape as possible. When shape was OK I just brushed on a little more Superglue nd an hour later did final Sanding......I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS Thanks Guys.....This will work perfectly Mike View attachment 8996View attachment 8996View attachment 8997View attachment 8998View attachment 8999View attachment 8999

D

dryfly70

I have never repaired anything that large but for fairly large pits I have had good luck with super glue mixed with sanded cork dust.

I agree with rip tide, on that one I think I would attempt to replace the rings.
Finished Thanks Mike

c web

Reaction score
Re: Cork Repair FINISHED

Thanks everyone I am quite happy with the way it came out, I took tiny stainless steel finishing nails in the cork, then moistened entire area to be corked, scraped small pieces of cork into tiny particles and then applied a mound of Gorilla Glue into a pile and just started mixing in the cork until it was like a thick oatmeal. I then applied it the area that needed cork and applied it while pressing it down trying to get the shape I needed. I then brushed on Super Glue to fill any voids and let it dry for about four hours under a fan. I then took my Dremmel Tool and put on a fine round sanding spool and carefully shaped it as close to the original shape as possible. When shape was OK I just brushed on a little more Superglue nd an hour later did final Sanding......I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS Thanks Guys.....This will work perfectly Mike View attachment 8996View attachment 8996View attachment 8997View attachment 8998View attachment 8999View attachment 8999
Looks great!