Cork Rod handle repair?

dolores1012

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody have any advice how and what to use to fix cracks in cork handle rods? I have 2 Berkley Lightning rods that the handles cracked. Does cork dry out? Is there something I can put on them to keep them more playable? Thanks.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
There is a filler product made of cork dust and a binder that is used to smooth out small cracks and gaps. Many fly shops carry it.

brownbass

Reaction score
Since this thread is dealing with broken handles, I have an older graphite rod that has had the handle broken in half. Not the graphite itself just the cork. I have no experience with rod building but would like to fix this handle. I have tried a wood repair product but it didn't hold. What do the people on the board suggest?

Bill

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Since this thread is dealing with broken handles, I have an older graphite rod that has had the handle broken in half. Not the graphite itself just the cork. I have no experience with rod building but would like to fix this handle. I have tried a wood repair product but it didn't hold. What do the people on the board suggest?

Bill
Epoxy
That's what was used to cement the grip to the rod originally

I once epoxied a grip that was in pieces back together and then wrapped it with baseball bat tape to "clamp" it
But as it turned out, I like the tape so much that I left it on.
Years later, after the tape wore out, I removed it to find that the grip was in very acceptable condition.