First bamboo scratchbuild

shorthaul

Reaction score
Its been a long time coming but after 25 years and toasting the first attempt in my tempering pipe and leaving one in the rafters of my sisters house after it was sold---the third attempt finally lives.

It is patterened after a semi-hollow built 6 wt that ACA champion and hall of famer Dick Fujita made in 1956. Dick thought that the taper might have been circulating around the ACA back then.

I havent run it through the ringer yet but it will cast 50 ft with a dt6f with ease and works good up close.

Attachments

wtex50

Reaction score
Nice - I love Bamboo...never had the nerve to try to build one myself. Post more pics please.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi shorthaul,

Way to go but we need more pictures. I would also like to hear about your tempering pipe. Do you have any pictures of the pipe?

Frank

shorthaul

Reaction score
I didnt take many pictures as i built it---ill post the one of the rod that i took before i glued it though:icon_smil

the pipe that i used was just a piece of 1-1/2 black pipe ---i read that if you heat the outside with a torch and rotate it as you heat it---you will drive the moisture out---well i proceeded and what i thought was steam was really smoke and the more i heated the more it smoked until i realized that maybe i should look---they were about the color of cinnamon sticks---oops

Since then Ive made an oven with a 1/2 thick piece of steel with heating elements screwed to it and a piece of aluminum tube that i put the rod in about 5 feet long above the steel around all this i have packed kale wool insulation----now i start the heating elements and monitor the temperature---when it hits 350 -375 i shut off the power, put the rods in and let the heat coast down til they are in for the desired amount of time---the hot piece of steel will stay at that temperature for the 8 minutes of tempering that we have been doing.