cork grips

jco

Reaction score
anyone use any type of cork finisher on their grips. if so what was your opinion of it.
thanks.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
anyone use any type of cork finisher on their grips. if so what was your opinion of it.
thanks.
The grip of one of my grandfather's rods, a rod which I still use on occasion, is coated with fish slime and scales from the last time he used it.
About 55 years ago.
Makes for good Mojo

pnc

Reaction score
I use a urethane sealer from the Mud Hole, on new builds. Does make clean-up easier.

....... pc

snakesurf

Reaction score
I use the shoe polish KIWI Conditioning Oil. Been using for over 30 years on my cork grips and it keeps them from dry rot and they have a nice natural feel afterwords, about twice a year.

coo2

Reaction score
There is a cork sealer that is made for Birkenstock sandals. I use it on my grips. It will darken the cork, ever so slightly. It makes it look like the cork would look after several uses but it keeps it from getting darker with use. You can get it on the auction site. It is Cadillac Cork sealer. Also, X-River Cork Kote.

barham

Reaction score
For years I have used Elmers wood filler "golden oak" color. Its easy to apply, wait 15 minutes, sand it smooth, and it lasts.

reels

Reaction score
I order my grips pre-made rather than building them myself from individual rings.
I've used U40 on them a handful of times, but honestly I don't notice any difference (color or otherwise) so I've stopped treating them with U40 in recent builds to save time.
It's possible the grips I buy are already sealed so the additional coating of U40 isn't necessary/useful and they are very high grade so there's no cracks to seal.

In reality I'm not sure how necessary sealing cork really is since it doesn't absorb liquid, but some sealers may be able to give you a slightly darker coloration and/or allow you to fill holes/gaps in lower grade cork.

williamhj

Reaction score
I used to use the U40 stuff. It darkens the cork a bit.

Didn't see an advantage so stopped. Don't mind having the grip show the rod is used.

bumble54

Reaction score
I used to use the U40 stuff. It darkens the cork a bit.

Didn't see an advantage so stopped. Don't mind having the grip show the rod is used.
Let's see, some of my rods are 30+ years old and the grips get a wipe down after fishing. The handles are like new, they only have to last as long as I do and that is anyone's guess. A solution looking for a problem?, maybe.

lepirate

Reaction score
With a new rod I (very) lightly rub the grip with lanolin. Maybe every time I clean the cork (3rd or 5th time out) I reapply a little lanolin.. Makes the cork feel a little softer and warmer .. Tis a wood, wood dries out and degrades when it dries.. I oil my teak, oak, beech.. why not feed cork? :)
Dave.