Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do I clean the cork without damage?

My cork on my Scott is now a mess.. (long story)

So what is the best way to clean up the surface. Will 600 grit sandpaper work? Do I need to go with the grain (arnound) rather than against (lenght wise) on the rod?

Surely ghe rod building forum has a bunch of GURU's that know bunches on cleaning.

Thanks
    Critter

2. Default Re: How do I clean the cork without damage?

Hi
    Sugar soap and fine grade wire wool, it works a treat!
    Cheers
    Richard

Default Re: How do I clean the cork without damage?

The recommended treatment is Soft Scrub
    The same stuff you'd use in the kitchen

But I gotta tell ya... I never clean mine
    One of my rods still has fish scales on the grip from the last time my grandfather used it, from way back in the early '60s
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    ...But I gotta tell ya... I never clean mine
    One of my rods still has fish scales on the grip from the last time my grandfather used it, from way back in the early '60s
    Something smells funny in this thread. Oh! Here comes Rip tide

Hi to all,

I want to comment about the use of steel wool on a grip. My comments don't come from knowing how to clean grips but from making custom rifle stocks. I would think steel wool is a bad choice. Small pieces may embed its self into the cork. Over time the steel wool will rust and cause discoloration in the cork. If you want to use steel wool use brass wool. It will clean well but any fragments left in the grip will not rust.

This is just an opinion and may be way off. I do know that in a gun stock this can happen.

Frank

Wet the grip with warm water and sprinkle a few crystals of Cascade dishwasher detergent and rub it in with your hand, rinse with warm water and dry---grip looks new and your hand comes out clean too!
    "something is happening here but i dont know what it is"---dylan

i use soft scrub with one of those kitchen sponges which has the scrubber on one side. rub gently using scrubber side.... uhhh, lengthwise. a towel to partially dry, set aside.

if that doesn't do enough for you, you could try gently sanding with 400-600 grit sand paper.

eric
    fresno,ca.

8. Default Re: How do I clean the cork without damage?

Why do you want to clean your cork? With the funk on it, the rod is YOURS, used well, and has caught fish. You can prove it too, by looking at that grip...Just my opinion, but I would rather see dirty cork on a rod than clean cork.

try rubbing alcohal and a soft cloth, brings out the soft texture on cork..also wont hurt the sealer if it has it..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Quote Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
    Why do you want to clean your cork? With the funk on it, the rod is YOURS, used well, and has caught fish. You can prove it too, by looking at that grip...Just my opinion, but I would rather see dirty cork on a rod than clean cork.
    Ok... The truth is I was lazy and grabbed my wife's rod and made it a mess (she is a fly fisher as well).. I am a guy she is a gal.. I don't care about the looks she does.... If I don't clean it up I owe her a new rod and hopefully a reduced week sleeping out in the camper.. If I was going to buy a new rod I would do it for me.. :^)

Critter...

PS.. thanks for all the input. I will try the cleaning on an old one first.... Then her's. I will update everybody on my sucesses.. and if I can sleep back in the house...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast